General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User javidotpro
(newbie) Thu 08-Aug-13 21:50:51
Print Post

Broadband in Coventry

[link to this post]

Hello,
I am new in Coventry (West Midlands), I come from Spain and I am Programmer, I'm going to rent a house and not that option to choose.
I know well the broadband companies in the UK but do not know which will be the most reliable connection level falls, router (though I have a Netgear WNR2000) and price of the connection.

Can you help?
Regards,
Javier.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Aug-13 21:54:22
Print Post

Re: Broadband in Coventry

[re: javidotpro] [link to this post]

Exact location is everything, so you need to find out what services are available at each property you want to rent?

e.g. cable modem
Fibre to the cabinet
or the slower older ADSL2+ based services

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User javidotpro
(newbie) Thu 08-Aug-13 21:57:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, its CV6 1HX i can use Virgin Media, SKY, EE, TalkTalk, BT, Plusnet... check in uswitch.com

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Aug-13 22:02:01
Print Post

Do you need consistent latency and speeds?

Or rather have a higher speed off peak, but possibly slowing down more at peak times?

Sky is often a reasonable bet, Virgin Media can be good but varies according to what others are up to in the area.

For a 30 Mbps or faster service (will be advertised as fibre) looking at £35 a month roughly once all the bits like line rental are paid.

If you want a budget speed ADSL2+ then might get monthly cost down to the £20 to £25 area.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User javidotpro
(newbie) Thu 08-Aug-13 22:04:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I need a constant service over 10 mb and I offer good support. I have read very bad reviews of Virgin although it seems very fast and economical. In Spain Telefonica Movistar used here known as O2 (now Sky Broadband).
Honestly What do you recommend?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Aug-13 22:35:49
Print Post

Ignore uSwitch, now you have that list. They get a payment from the ISP if you click through from them, but if you click through from TopCashBack or Quidco, then you normally get the cashback you will see listed for the ISP you choose. (Make sure you follow those cashback sites' instructions about clearing cookies, otherwise if you've already clicked through from uSwitch you won't get cashback).

How long will you be here? The best deals are if you commit to 12 months, but there are plenty where you can just commit to one month.

Of the big boys, Sky (not O2) and BT are the first to look at for 12-month tie-in. Plusnet do both 12-month or 1-month, but the 1-month costs a bit more.

Smaller players doing 12 and 1 month, I suggest looking at uno, vivaciti and Aquiss. There isn't likely to be cash-back on those though.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 08-Aug-13 22:45:12)

Print Thread

Jump to