General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kingmustard
(newbie) Fri 09-Aug-13 07:50:23
Print Post

Any UK ISP offer contract lengths under 18 months?

[link to this post]

Do any UK ISPs offer contract lengths under 18 months?

My parents signed up to Plusnet a year ago and they only offered 18-month contracts. That's too long for me.
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 09-Aug-13 08:02:46
Print Post

Re: Any UK ISP offer contract lengths under 18 months?

[re: kingmustard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kingmustard:
Using this page to search for contract lengths under 6 months gives over 30 hits... some may be inaccurate (tbb rely on the ISP to inform them of changes) but the basic answer to your question is yes- loads of 'em.

eta- You won't find many (if any) under 12 months if you want FTTC, that's a limitation effectively imposed on the ISP by BT.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions._________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Fri 09-Aug-13 08:05:29)

(newbie) Fri 09-Aug-13 08:06:44
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
Using this page to search for contract lengths under 6 months gives over 30 hits... some may be inaccurate (tbb rely on the ISP to inform them of changes) but the basic answer to your question is yes- loads of 'em.
Excellent link, thank you smile 12 months is fine, but 18 months is not.

Now to discover which ISPs don't throttle speeds at any time!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 09-Aug-13 08:17:10
Print Post

Now to discover which ISPs don't throttle speeds at any time!
That's not so easy to answer, it can depend not only on the ISP but also the particular contract you choose. Also, an ISP may not actively throttle anything but congestion at peak times may be a problem if they've kept prices down by skimping on capacity.

But a broad guide is that the smaller ones don't, and the cheaper it is the more likely it is to suffer somewhere.

As in most areas of life- you get what you pay for smile

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions._________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User armshead
(newbie) Fri 09-Aug-13 08:35:48
Print Post

The best ISP I ever had was AAISP & they are still 30 days notice. If I was ever forced to use a telephone line again I wouldnt' even consider going anywhere else. Not cheap but worth every penny!
(newbie) Fri 09-Aug-13 08:38:29
Print Post

[re: armshead] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by armshead:
The best ISP I ever had was AAISP & they are still 30 days notice. If I was ever forced to use a telephone line again I wouldnt' even consider going anywhere else. Not cheap but worth every penny!

They don't offer unlimited and I definitely need (and use) that feature.
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 09-Aug-13 08:50:05
Print Post

They don't offer unlimited and I definitely need (and use) that feature.
Unlimited on an 80/20 FTTC connection means (in theory) that the ISP has to price the contract for something like 25 Tera-Bytes/month... I think you need to bring your sights down a bit tongue

Bill
Standard User armshead
(newbie) Fri 09-Aug-13 09:08:31
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

"Unlimited" is just a word. Whatever it is you need AAISP can & will supply it within the limits of your connection. They are fair on limits, do not immediately clobber you if you go over any month & carry a proportion of unused forward to the next month.
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 09-Aug-13 09:30:30
Print Post

[re: armshead] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by armshead:
"Unlimited" is just a word.
I wouldn't argue with that- my contract with IDNet includes 100GB/month download, if I go over that (even waay over it) then nothing will happen except that my bank account will suffer (to the tune of £1/GB) for the excess usage.

So in a very real sense it's an unlimited connection... but most people wouldn't class it as one.

The point I was trying to make is that downloading large amounts of data can get expensive.

eta- just found out that IDNet do an unlimited 80/20 contract- ~£120/month. Less than I expected.

Bill

Edited by billford (Fri 09-Aug-13 09:40:05)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 09-Aug-13 09:36:22
Print Post

My parents signed up to Plusnet a year ago and they only offered 18-month contracts. That's too long for me.

It's also wrong, as Plusnet themselves do monthly contracts too.

Broadband without a 12 or 18 month contract: There's a £50 activation charge but we'll reduce this to £25 if you add one of our phone packages to your order. You can use your own router if it's compatible, or you can take our router (you'll just pay £5.99 P&P). Minimum term of 30 days.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to