General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(member) Fri 16-Aug-13 08:43:39
Print Post

E-Mail Host

[link to this post]

One of the things that I take into account before changing ISPs is the 'pain' associated with changing my e-mail address. I am considering paying for an e-mail host ( rather than using Yahoo, Googlemail etc). Online reviews of e-mail hosting providers are are very hard to find. Personal recommendations would therefore be greatly appreciated. I should add that this is for personal use only and I would prefer a provider that offers both POP and IMAP at a reasonable cost. My present ISP only offers POP and very long e-mail addresses!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 16-Aug-13 08:50:30
Print Post

Re: E-Mail Host

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

I use http://www.verygoodemail.com/

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Fri 16-Aug-13 08:51:52
Print Post

Are you thinking about registering and using your own domain name?

And what do you consider "reasonable cost"?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 16-Aug-13 08:53:33
Print Post

I use this mob (with my own domain also bought through them), had a few issues with reliability when I first started several years ago but no problems since.

If you click the "More details" link in the Instant Mail box you'll see they offer IMAP and POP3, but I don't use IMAP so don't know if it's either or both.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions._________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Save fuel- take a bus. Then you can siphon out the diesel at leisure.

Edited by billford (Fri 16-Aug-13 08:55:36)

Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Fri 16-Aug-13 09:05:20
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

If you use POP3 then it would be pointless to use IMAP as well. POP3 (normally) downloads and removes the mail from the provider's systems - so if you then logged in with IMAP there would be nothing to see.

Personally I prefer to use IMAP with my mail clients set to store a copy locally. That way I've got offline access to my mailboxes on each client, can use the provider's webmail to see the entire mailbox when required and if something were to go catastrophically wrong resulting in all my client machines being destroyed there is still a copy of the mailbox contents with the provider. That's not suggesting it as a substitute for keeping good backups, just a useful addition to them.

Edited by GeeTee (Fri 16-Aug-13 09:09:49)

Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 16-Aug-13 09:11:56
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeeTee:
If you use POP3 then it would be pointless to use IMAP as well.
Yes I know, that's why I don't use it.

But, if he should so desire, there's nothing I can see that would would prevent the OP from using POP3 with one email address and IMAP with another, hence my comment.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions._________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Fri 16-Aug-13 09:17:28
Print Post

Ahhh... quite so - I should really get beyond my first cup of tea in the morning before posting laugh

Out of interest, why do you prefer POP3?
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 16-Aug-13 09:24:46
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeeTee:
Ahhh... quite so - I should really get beyond my first cup of tea in the morning before posting laugh
I know the feeling well grin
Out of interest, why do you prefer POP3?
I'm not entirely sure... partly I suspect it's my reluctance to trust my data to others (eg anything I've got in the cloud is also on either my "live" or backup HDD tongue) but probably mostly because I just don't really get on with it for some reason confused

Bill

Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Fri 16-Aug-13 09:43:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
I'm not entirely sure... partly I suspect it's my reluctance to trust my data to others (eg anything I've got in the cloud is also on either my "live" or backup HDD tongue) but probably mostly because I just don't really get on with it for some reason confused

Fair enough, I also wouldn't trust anything to a "cloud" service if that were the only copy. Anything of any real importance I have stored in at least 3 places locally and additionally regular encrypted backup copies pushed out to a couple of dropbox like services. Probably overkill, but it's mostly automated so all gain no pain (other than getting the automation working in the first place).
Standard User lexden16
(member) Fri 16-Aug-13 09:46:03
Print Post

Let me sweep up a couple of issues. My current ISP offers POP3 only whereas my previous ISP offered both POP3 and IMAP. Sadly, e-mail was down fair too often for my liking. Currently, we have 4 Apple devices in the house. They are all set to POP3. Previously, I had my IPhone, IPad and Macbook set to IMAP and my main desktop set to POP3 with the same e-mail address. This meant that I could clear all the rubbish off my portable devices at one go but I still had all my e-mails on my main computer.

I note that most e-mail hosts come with a domain. An email address of xyz@abc.net has to be better than my current e-mail address which is @domain.myisp.co.uk.

Thanks for all the inputs.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to