General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User italiarsenal
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 12:21:57
Print Post

Hi and Help please|

[link to this post]

After one failed attempt we are back on a 3g dongle in Italy. We live very remote and this may well be our best option. I have a couple of questions though if someone could help?

From what I see its easy enough to buy a router to put the dongle in so that the signal can be shared on several computers in the house?

However what's confusing me is that our package gives us 100 hours access (not a data limit). So if I put the dongle in the router is it always 'on'? As in will it be running the clock down? Or is it only when someone logs on? And then if two people log on at the same time what happens? Do you share the time or is it counted twice? Hope I'm explaining myself well!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Aug-13 12:27:33
Print Post

Re: Hi and Help please|

[re: italiarsenal] [link to this post]

Among the current routers I'm not sure which one to recommend, but there are usually options to limit time online in a number of router devices.

Disconnect on idle may be one option, but generally once connected the dongles stay online all the time.

I would expect this to be more likely in a router aimed at the 3G market, rather than the general devices where 3G dongles are seen as an emergency backup.

This was something that old ISDN routers in the German market had a lot of.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 17-Aug-13 12:47:10
Print Post

I don't use 3G so I wouldn't want to suggest a router.

Regarding the 100 hours access, I would surmise that it is simply total time connected, not on a "per user" basis. Otherwise the other end would need to determine whether it is two users or one user running two applications. Possible, but not likely I'd have thought.

Limiting your time- depending on your usage pattern, would a simple mains timeswitch (probably with independent weekday/weekend settings) on the router do the job?

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions._________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Save fuel- take a bus. Then you can siphon out the diesel at leisure.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 17-Aug-13 18:14:21
Print Post

you could use Internet Connection Sharing on a windows PC hosting the dongle to share the connection via its wireless or wired LAN connections.

Sounds like it is simply a connection time, there's only one circuit as far as the 3G system is concerned so the hours will be hours the dongle is on line regardless of what's attached.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Sun 18-Aug-13 01:02:57
Print Post

FWIW I find that the WiFi hot spot tethering facility in Android phones works quite well for allowing multiple computers to access the Internet.

In the UK neither T-Mobile or Vodafone require a log on, but for example many public WiFi systems do.

I think you should as the network supplier how the 100 hours is measured.

Michael Chare
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Sun 18-Aug-13 07:42:34
Print Post

When I am in Spain, I use a mifi router with a dongle (which allows for casual use on a laptop outside my residence). These were sourced through an agent in Spain who deals with Vodafone Spain.
This router can be set up to connect on demand or connect during given hours.
The data contract I buy covers a period of time (eg weekend, fortnight ...) and a max amount of data during that period.
Perhaps the same provisions are available in Italy

Derek
(newbie) Sun 18-Aug-13 10:52:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks,

So am I right in thinking that it may be possible to disconnect the dongle remotely via a computer or do I have to physically take it out to disconnect it. Another problem here is that the only good signal is right at the top of the attic so tramping up and down all the time to disconnect it isn't ideal.

I guess there isn't going to be a perfect solution to this.

I can take the option of a Webcube from 3three which effectively acts as a wifi router as well, I don't know if you have these in the UK? The only problem is they only supply these on contract that are metered by data and not time. The time option is much better for us as we use the internet to stream UK tv and skype back home etc which is data heavy of course. But they only offer this option on PAYG dongles.
(newbie) Sun 18-Aug-13 10:54:02
Print Post

[re: dandnsmith] [link to this post]

Hi Dan, do you know what model/make the router is?
(newbie) Sun 18-Aug-13 10:58:02
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
you could use Internet Connection Sharing on a windows PC hosting the dongle to share the connection via its wireless or wired LAN connections.

Sounds like it is simply a connection time, there's only one circuit as far as the 3G system is concerned so the hours will be hours the dongle is on line regardless of what's attached.

I've tried this as it occurred to me this could be a good option but somewhere along the way it doesn't seem to work. I've followed a couple of tutorials and I can set up the ad hoc connection ok and bridge it to the dongle connection and then use another computer to pick up the signal but on the 2nd computer there is no internet/network connection. I've tried various combinations of computers but can't seem to crack it. I've also tried turning off the firewall just to see if that was blocking it but no joy.

Any thoughts?
(newbie) Sun 18-Aug-13 11:08:37
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
FWIW I find that the WiFi hot spot tethering facility in Android phones works quite well for allowing multiple computers to access the Internet.

In the UK neither T-Mobile or Vodafone require a log on, but for example many public WiFi systems do.

I think you should as the network supplier how the 100 hours is measured.

So by this way I could use an old android phone, put the sim in it and then turn on the data when I want to use it? Would the phone have any effect on the speed of the connection or is that purely affected by the quality of the signal the sim picks up? Sounds like a good possibility to me if it's practical. Presumably I just turn the phone on when I want the connection and then turn it off when I want to stop it running down the hours, or just switch off the data option?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to