General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User couttsey21
(newbie) Wed 21-Aug-13 11:20:35
Print Post

UK Broadband Petition - Please Help!

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

I've created a petition on the UK Government's E-Petition site calling on the UK Government to scrap the plans for the High Speed Rail (HS2) project in favour of a true national fibre broadband (FTTP) network that would benefit the whole of the UK and not just cities.

I'm sure there are members that would disagree with the petition but for those of you that agree with it please visit http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/54002 to sign the petition (1 vote per UK resident).

Many Thanks
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 21-Aug-13 15:38:04
Print Post

Re: UK Broadband Petition - Please Help!

[re: couttsey21] [link to this post]

Do you know how HS2 is to be funded, and how do you propose to fund FTTP within the EU's rules on State Aid (ie the law)

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User zhango
(regular) Wed 21-Aug-13 18:32:36
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Scrap HS2 because it is a blot on the landscape and the budget will spiral out of control but surely there's no relationship to FTTP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Aug-13 20:40:49
Print Post

[re: zhango] [link to this post]

Both potentially involve lots of civil engineering, heavy stuff for HS2, just the vast quantities to do a FTTP roll-out, particularly if national and NOT involving Openreach network.

Seriously doubt EU would allow Gov funding for a national roll-out, just after we spent a chunk of superfast. Unless what that delivers can in no way meet the needs in 2018-2020.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User roughbeast
(regular) Wed 21-Aug-13 21:42:08
Print Post

[re: couttsey21] [link to this post]

By the time HS2 is completed I expect that the need for expenses-paid same-day or 2-day trips for conferences etc will no longer be required. There is no other way to pay the likely fares except on expenses. An excellent nationalised and nationally funded hyper-BB network would ensure the need to travel is reduced further. By 2030 work from home, except for manufacture and other hands-on-services, will be the norm. Rail journeys will be taken up increasingly for leisure and freight. I suggest that any money spent on rail should be to reverse many of the Beeching cuts thus enabling rural areas and small towns to have access to the rail network without having to depend on cars, non-existent bus services and road freight.

Yes, both HS2 and hyper-BB require heavy engineering work, but once the cable is laid it ends up underground just like the gas network.

I have signed the petition. Placed on FB.

Virgin Media: 120mb/12Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.

Edited by roughbeast (Wed 21-Aug-13 21:53:13)

Standard User somerset
(committed) Wed 21-Aug-13 22:26:13
Print Post

[re: roughbeast] [link to this post]

Thousands of people have been working from home for many years. Bandwidth requirements vary but a few meg is OK for many. It is incorrect to assume that 1G FTTP is needed for home working when FTTC will give sufficient speed for the majority.
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Wed 21-Aug-13 23:11:39
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

And also scrap Europe.

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 21-Aug-13 23:45:49
Print Post

[re: roughbeast] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by roughbeast:
I suggest that any money spent on rail should be to reverse many of the Beeching cuts thus enabling rural areas and small towns to have access to the rail network without having to depend on cars, non-existent bus services and road freight.
Why, in the absence of rail services, are the bus services non-existent?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Thu 22-Aug-13 00:15:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Mainly because the routes are under used the bus company scraps them or reduces the number of trips but this is caused by the use of the personal car as its more convient.

Orange BB 5856/448

Edited by ccxo (Thu 22-Aug-13 00:19:03)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 22-Aug-13 00:33:51
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Ah, but I'd like to see roughbeast's explanation. Read the quote from his post very carefully smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to