General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User opilantgud
(newbie) Fri 23-Aug-13 18:23:52
Print Post

Broadband speed via wi-fi, router to lap top

[link to this post]

Recently gone onto fibre, speed at router via Ethernet cable 21. Speed at lap top via Wi-Fi fluctuates, 3 to 7, sometimes as high as 10. What options are available to me to get an increase in the speed at the lap top ? The router is down stairs and the lap top is in a bedroom, approx. 24ft apart horizontally and 7ft vertically
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Aug-13 23:32:48
Print Post

Re: Broadband speed via wi-fi, router to lap top

[re: opilantgud] [link to this post]

Move router closer? Add a wireless access point? Does speed improve if the two devices are in the same room?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User opilantgud
(newbie) Sat 24-Aug-13 09:27:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Moving the router is not really an option, it is as near as it can be now, a wireless access point sounds as if it might be what I need. I have checked the speeds this am and got the following :- Upstairs via w-less 15.1; Against Router via Wireless 20.5 ; Downstairs via Ethernet 21.2.
The upstairs reading is higher than usual, it is usually 4 to 9.
Would a wireless access point strengthen the signal so as to give a higher speed?
Please excuse my lack of knowledge, I am a learner at this, that is why I put the question on the forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Aug-13 10:20:25
Print Post

As well as the response that Saffy gave, have you considered the "Devolo" type of device/system?

Some people like them, others don't - but I've always found that they work quite well.

Just plug in the small device near the Router (connecting with an Ethernet Cable) & the other larger device in your Bedroom. You can either connect via cable or WiFi.

I should add that I've provided a link to the "200" series devices, but there are also "500" types as well - although, any complaints that I've seen tend to be directed at the "500" devices!

Regards,
John
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 24-Aug-13 11:21:11
Print Post

A wireless access point fed by ethernet cable in the room you want to use wireless would give best, falling back its use HomePlugs as an easier way to get the signal to the wireless access point (there are home plug kits that include a wireless access point)

A final option is something like
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EA-N66-Wireless-Gigabit-Ethe...

which we reviewed at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/74-as...

If placed in an ideal location i.e. where it gets a good speed, you can rebroadcast that speed a fair bit further. There are cheaper devices if on a tight budget but the Asus was pretty nice to use

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 24-Aug-13 16:17:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by opilantgud:
Would a wireless access point strengthen the signal so as to give a higher speed?
Only by being closer to you than the existing wireless device.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Sat 24-Aug-13 18:20:14
Print Post

Is the laptop using wireless b, g or n?

Wireless b is always slow, g is better but wireless n is much, much faster. Do both the router and the laptop support it?

With the laptop next to the router what speeds do you get?

How are you measuring the speed?

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Aug-13 19:03:20
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

As a quick rough & ready test, I've just tried a speedtest using a Devolo 200 system, with the Device on the Landing & my Laptop in a bedroom.

Please note that I'm NOT on Fibre but on ADSL+2, also I've got other users switched-on - hence it wasn't a "clean" test.

I achieved 16.6 down & 1.04 up.

Regards,
John
Standard User dieselglider
(experienced) Sat 24-Aug-13 21:30:20
Print Post

Another option is to log-in to the router and set the transmitting channel manually to either 1, 6, or 11. Try each in turn, in case of interference from a neighbours wireless router.

BTInfinity
Standard User TAZZ69
(learned) Sat 24-Aug-13 23:23:12
Print Post

[re: dieselglider] [link to this post]

Download InSIDDer http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ this takes the guess work out of which channels are free so you can get the best signal.

Essentials Fibre on PlusNet
Customer since 2003 - Dial up - ADSL - Fibre
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to