General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nieldm
(newbie) Tue 10-Sep-13 20:03:37
Print Post

Virgin cable and Sky broadband in same house?

[link to this post]

I am a Virgin Media 120mb cable user and Virgin currently provide the telephone line, I am also a SkyTV subscriber.

Does anyone know if it is possible to structure a situation whereby I only have one phoneline but get both the free Sky broadband to which I am entitled and still keep my Virgin broadband? I know Virgin offer packages without a phone line, but they jack the price up way beyond the cost of the line!

I am not wedded to Sky, but I would like a failover broadband connection given the unreliability of Virgin (at least one 3-5 hour outage per month...not good when you work from home).

Thoughts?
Marc
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Sep-13 20:22:13
Print Post

Re: Virgin cable and Sky broadband in same house?

[re: nieldm] [link to this post]

Virgin media without phone line and the sky bb and phone on an openreach line is how it would work.

You cannot get sky bb over the virgin phone line

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nieldm
(newbie) Tue 10-Sep-13 20:24:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, that's what I suspected. I guess I have to try to bargain with Virgin over the price hike when I don't take a phone line. They should see I don't use it, I am almost 100% VOIP in any case...

Marc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TrimJohn
(newbie) Thu 12-Sep-13 08:40:43
Print Post

[re: nieldm] [link to this post]

Thank you for sharing this.,

Network communication has made the revolution in our lives and made the world a global village.
Standard User nieldm
(newbie) Thu 12-Sep-13 08:44:08
Print Post

[re: TrimJohn] [link to this post]

Actually it transpires that I am entitled to Sky Broadband unlimited for free as a Sky Sports customer. Couple that with Virgin being flexible in terms of not increasing my price even though I am moving the line (in fact they reduced it by the cost of the line as a "loyalty bonus" means that I will have two lines coming in to the house in October for the same price per month.

Nice.
  Print Thread

Jump to