General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User digitaldanuk
(newbie) Tue 24-Sep-13 13:08:51
Print Post

House with phone sockets in every room (not ethernet ports)

[link to this post]

Hi again guys, only me. I thought I'd start a new thread as its a different topic and I promise to get my facts right this time!! Sorry about that unbundling / unbundled confusion.

The house that I have moved into has phone sockets in every room. When I say phone sockets I mean these (the longer ones)

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/C...

Can I use this for easier networking at all? I've done some research and perhaps it is possible using something called HomePNA ? Is that right or am I barking up the wrong tree?

All my internet of things devices have ethernet cards on them so if it is possible I am guessing I need to get something that converts the phone sockets into an ethernet.

Sorry guys I really am green when it comes to this stuff frown You must think I am an idiot asking dumb questions.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Sep-13 13:38:54
Print Post

Re: House with phone sockets in every room (not ethernet por

[re: digitaldanuk] [link to this post]

Home PNA is dead, died when ADSL2+ appeared and the frequencies overlapped.

If you cannot, or do not want to do Ethernet cabling then its HomePlug or carefully located Ethernet wireless bridges e.g

A cheap Bridge, and product page shows the sort of uses.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006PYGWG6/ref=as...

Home Plug units (fast enough for FTTC)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004TRBQVM/ref=as...

Normal telephone wiring is not up to scratch for carrying Ethernet signals, it is a very rare situation where a builder uses CAT5e wiring, about the only time it happens is offices, where modular wiring systems are used.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Tue 24-Sep-13 13:52:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Really? Oh wow I was hoping that I could use them a bit like work where we plug in the ethernets into the wall... that's a shame. Not to worry.

When it comes to the homeplug adaptors, i've used them before but got some TP Link ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140904834060?lpid=54&devic...

I had to return them though because when in use they made a horrible high pitched beeping noise which was so annoying I had to return them..

The ones you have listed, do they have the same problem?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Sep-13 14:19:17
Print Post

A couple of points:-

Your Work-based Ethernet outlets has every outlet individually wired back to a Cabinet/Frame (etc) & individually wired into a Router or a Switch. Even if your Builder had wired your Phone Socket with Cat-5 cable these would not have been individually wired back.

MrSaffron linked to the Devolo 500 series of Homeplugs - I've used the Devolo 200 series & have not experienced the problems that you cite.

Regards,
John
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Sep-13 14:56:02
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

I have used the devolo ones too and no problems

Buzzing probably related to a bad joint/transformer issue, and is a common issue with the cheaper power supplies, though some years since I had a router with that issue.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 25-Sep-13 10:14:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks guys!
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Sep-13 19:00:32
Print Post

I have been using the devolo AV200 series for about 2 years. Have just 'upgraded' to AV 500, and have no noise what so ever. I can easily run the 40/10 fibre product with these. The av200 units ran to about 24/10 maximum.

IanD
(newbie) Wed 25-Sep-13 20:45:00
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Does that mean you have some of the 200s going spare now? If so, I'd be interested in purchasing them smile Feel free to PM me if you are wanting to sell them.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Wed 25-Sep-13 22:01:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by digitaldanuk:
Does that mean you have some of the 200s going spare now? If so, I'd be interested in purchasing them smile Feel free to PM me if you are wanting to sell them.

They're not expensive brand new! Home Plugs
  Print Thread

Jump to