General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Sep-13 15:39:14
Print Post

Opendns issue

[link to this post]

Turned me PC on today and noticed i was getting a system notifcation saying "Additional log on information may be required. Click to open your browser". After a quick Google, it appears its an opendns issue that first appeared last year ( http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=...

I changed my dns to my ISP dns and the issue went away, so it seems its the same one. However that issue was fixed so not sure why im getting the message? Ive had opendns for weeks and this is the first time its appeared. Im using ethernet and the internet works fine

Anyone else getting it today?

Edited by bobble_bob (Tue 24-Sep-13 15:41:07)

Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 27-Sep-13 19:35:20
Print Post

Re: Opendns issue

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

I get this occasionally. I think I've had it at least once this week, although I'm not positive it was Tuesday.

I had never previously made the association with OpenDNS, and had assumed it was something to do with my provider (Plusnet).

But as it never tends to persist long enough to be much of a problem. I haven't ever raised a ticket, or made a concerted effort at faultfinding. I've been tending to treat it as: "one of those things that will go away in a minute". And so far, it always has.

T.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 20:51:19
Print Post

Yes I've been getting it for a few days and it's been making my connection throw up the ! mark on the taskbar

Forgot to say transfer is not affected when it does this.

"

Edited by pcoventry76 (Fri 27-Sep-13 20:51:55)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Sep-13 19:38:50
Print Post

I've been using OpenDNS for years and had this pop-up a few times in the last week so something's changed.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Sep-13 19:56:27
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Yea been reading up about it. Apparently when you boot up Windows it tries to connect to some Microsoft website so test if you have a connection. If it can then it knows its got a connection, if not then this message can appear.

So i assume during boot up the opendns servers are not allowing the connection. Ive changed back to my ISP dns servers and not got the message now, although the servers arent as good

Edited by bobble_bob (Sat 28-Sep-13 19:56:54)

Print Thread

Jump to