General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Thu 26-Sep-13 22:09:53
Print Post

Is it possible to share mifi over a wired network?

[link to this post]

My home internet is off for 2 weeks but the problem is I have a few devices which do not have built in wifi such as a old xbox, a really old original xbox, and a freesat box with built in internet and apps.

I have thought of two ways, one to use the wireless in pc and bridge it so it goes over the lan but this does not work, when I bridge them I either get no connection with the wireless or half a meg or so yet disabling or unbriding the connection I get 6-12 meg not sure if this is because its connected to a switch

Second way was making a router work as a bridge, I have a belkin gigabit router but cannot find any way to do this in the settings, I do have a Homehub 3 if I can use that for it if anyone knows.

It just means right now I can only use internet on my desktop and laptop and nothing else.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Sep-13 22:58:24
Print Post

Re: Is it possible to share mifi over a wired network?

[re: mittenkrust] [link to this post]

With a proper wireless ethernet bridge it should work.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006PYGWG6/ref=as...

Just add an ethernet switch to the single ethernet port and viola can do several devices.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 18:36:28
Print Post

[re: mittenkrust] [link to this post]

Only other way aside from what Andrew says is to plug the mifi into your device directly and it should create a DUN - at least it did for me when I had the E586 on 3.

"

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Sep-13 18:38:55
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Fine for PC and probably Mac, but not for the xbox etc

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to