General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User movinglight
(newbie) Fri 27-Sep-13 22:45:15
Print Post

Network spying

[link to this post]

When the security services monitor our internet traffic do they cause latency or speed drop issues or can they copy our packets with no overhead?

Just interested really, presumably some people on this board know what kind of network structure is used to intercept a main fibre core at a Countries boundary?

Don't want anyone to get shot spilling the beans but since its now all out in the open there is no harm in finding out the details, (nothing to hide, nothing to worry about kind of thing smile)

Stephen Johnson
(real name!)

Edited by movinglight (Fri 27-Sep-13 22:47:31)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 27-Sep-13 23:24:13
Print Post

Re: Network spying

[re: movinglight] [link to this post]

The IWF nanny system certainly impacts your connection.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 23:44:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by movinglight:
When the security services monitor our internet traffic do they cause latency or speed drop issues

Nah. They use optical taps on big links, literally splitting off the laser light and decoding it. The only impact is that laser power is halved due to being split but so long as still in spec that isn't an issue.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sat 28-Sep-13 08:44:38
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, it makes sense.

Since packets from the same session may be routed through different cables there must be a way of collating the packets? (or perhaps fragmentation only happens when there is a network failure?)

If fragmentation of packets is a problem then it would make more sense to tap into the main fibre optic feeds of our ISP's - then you could guarantee everything is collated.

Interesting to think that the network traffic in the UK is a multiple of network traffic (original real traffic then copies of the traffic going to Cheltenham, Washington, China etc) I guess at some point this may cause congestion though perhaps offset against UK/US tax payer funded spook infrastructure that could add to capacity. Presumably these covert networks are hidden in traffic reports.

So many questions, its fascinating stuff

Stephen
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Sep-13 11:48:28
Print Post

Most of the time routes are symmetrical especially in terms of taking the same fibre route as multiple IP routes use the same fibre bundles. GCHQ don't grab everything yet there is too much of it.

This tapping won't cause congestion on the Internet as these tapped packets don't use the public Internet. There is a good reason why GCHQ has presence near transatlantic cable landings.
(newbie) Sat 28-Sep-13 14:02:09
Print Post

Thanks again Ignitionnet,

I have a better understanding of the mechanism now (and you have answered my original question).

To summarize:
A users Internet data transfer speed and latency are not affected by the Security Services when they inspect the users internet data flow because they can intercept laser light on the host network by an optical splitter without compromising the data interrogatory or speed of the host network

They can then pipe this data away using private networks, again not affecting the users ongoing data and speed. Traffic on these private networks are not reported and don't form part of the Public/Commercial Internet traffic reports

Nice to know when things are stuttering a little on my internet connection its down to other people downloading cute cat videos rather than anyone taking too much interest in my ramblings smile

End.
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Sep-13 15:32:16
Print Post

Correct Sir. smile
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Sep-13 22:39:36
Print Post

BTW, did you know the GCHQ is the only part of the Government that actually listens to the voters?

Nick
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 28-Sep-13 23:01:58
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

LOL

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to