General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Dodgexander
(newbie) Tue 01-Oct-13 01:02:22
Print Post

Reccomended Router/Modem Combination for p2p

[link to this post]

We've been with Plusnet for a year now, most using the bundled Technicolor TG582n, the routers features and software seem pretty good, but I wish the same could be said about its reliability.

To give you an idea, we have an ADSL1 service syncing at 1.3mbps, we are very far away from the exchange and have always had internet connectivity problems.

At home despite this, as a family were pretty heavy users, often with several computers at the same time, gaming, streaming, browsing, syncing etc

On top of this, we all use P2P often and whenever many people are using the internet, or if there are downloads/syncing going on, the internet becomes unusable for others.

I have been trying to put an end to our problems, once or twice ive tried using a TP-Link router we previously owned, but sadly that suffers from often freezing up and although it seems to be more reliable with the connection to ADSL. It will often restart or chug when downloading via p2p.

So can anyone recommend a combo of a modem/router? I don't mind if its separate or an all in one device. I have heard in most cases separates are more reliable.

It needs to be reliable and cope with many connections AND keep our unreliable connection up as much as possible. I have read for the latter we need to opt for a Broadcom based model. I am willing to pay for reliability, so budget isn't too much of a concern. AS LONG as its reasonable value for money.

Help us enjoy our internet pain free, for once smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Oct-13 16:39:15
Print Post

Re: Reccomended Router/Modem Combination for p2p

[re: Dodgexander] [link to this post]

Your problem is not with router; you have too many users using too narrow bandwidth. only by cutting down on no. of simultaneous users can you get a decent performance.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Oct-13 16:53:03
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I agree with XRaySpeX - the original poster is expecting far too good a multi-tasking experience for the limited 1.3/0.45 Mbit/s connection he has. The obvious answer is to limit any P2P activity to the night time, when the connection is not otherwise in use.

A router with more sophisticated QoS features may give a slightly better interactive experience if the issue is upstream saturation, but on such a slow connection downstream saturation is likely to be the predominant issue. In other words, I think any money spent on a 'better' router is a waste of money.

If the family really are making as heavy a demand on their connection as described and there's no hope of fibre or another fast service in the future, it may be worth considering a second connection for some of the traffic.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Oct-13 16:53:03
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/78-as...

No idea of the performance on long lines, but the QoS side might be useful to share out what little capacity they have.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Oct-13 17:10:12
Print Post

Can you post the line stats from the router in use > http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

As others have said it looks like the connection can't cope with heavy use all at the same time, the router from PN might not be great for multiple wireless use either i.e. connection will be lost at times, when put under heavy demand.

Alastair

omadasafisho
(newbie) Wed 02-Oct-13 16:07:35
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Unfortunately I am away from home at the moment, so I can't gather my line stats. What I can tell you however is given our stats, the bt engineers who have visited have mentioned that were lucky to get internet at all, along with various isps telling us that our connection stats are some of the worst they have ever seen, so we are well and truly at end of the line or bottom of the barrel, whichever way you wish to look at it.

I realise of course that there are limits dependant on my total bandwidth and perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my OP, but I am not trying to download, stream a movie or game at the same time.

I'm talking about simple scenarios. For example, I can be gaming online whilst my sister turns on her PC. Once her PC turns on, her Dropbox syncs. This in turn results of disconnection from my gaming server. Web browsing works, just anything else won't. The same may happen if someone is watching a youtube video, suddenly I cannot gaming anymore because the latency shoots so high.

Another example: After a while of p2p downloading or heavy use, the router remains connected to its clients, both wirelessly or wired, but it seems to no longer relay dns servers correctly. When this happens the opposite occurs, tasks that don't require dns such as skype calls, gaming etc work. However web browsing doesn't. Not until you specify manually alternate dns address' on each client or wait an hour or so for it to somehow fix itself, OR reboot the modem/router.

Another example would be my father connecting via his vpn. Sometimes he just can't connect using the Plusnet router. This is something that plusnet have admitted to not being able to solve, despite being in touch with there customer support about it previously.

Even on Xilo before we changed to plusnet, these problems weren't apparent. Although we did suffer from our old router from freezing/breaking due to many p2p connections.

What i'm really looking for is something that will make the best out of both worlds. I have used QoS shaping before on my tp-link, but it was very complicated to set up, it did seem to offer some benefit though.

Now with Plusnet themselves also using QoS (or traffic shaping) shouldn't I expect it to prioritise gaming traffic over downloads? Shouldn't i expect a better internet experience?
ISP Representative KellyD
(isp) Wed 02-Oct-13 17:12:27
Print Post

This experience sounds wrong. PM me your username and we'll have a look.

Kelly Dorset
Plusnet
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(newbie) Thu 03-Oct-13 09:31:54
Print Post

[re: KellyD] [link to this post]

Well Kelly I sent you a pm I hope you can do something because our customer service experience with plusnet hasn't really fulfilled the company slogans so far. "We'll do you proud", "best customer service". That hasn't been our experience at all.
ISP Representative KellyD
(isp) Thu 03-Oct-13 09:52:37
Print Post

I've just looked at your account and I can immediately see what could be the problem. :/

Kelly Dorset
Plusnet
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Thu 03-Oct-13 10:17:26
Print Post

Have you tried the simplest test of all, the Phone Line Quiet Test?

If not, plug the simplest, CORDED phone you have, into the Master socket (removing all other connections temporarily), with an ADSL Splitter dongle included.

Dial 17070, selecting Option 2 "Quiet Test"; and listen.

At best, you should hear "nothing".

The noises can be various - "snap, crackle, pop", humming, tones etc, intermittent or continuous etc.

If you do hear any noise, report it to your PHONE Provider, who may be your BB provider; or some other party.

Do NOT mention Broadband.

--------------------------------------------

Also try to track your Phone Line physically in principle, particularly as you have indicated that it is lengthy, so likely to have several joints etc in it.

Get some idea of the likely Phone Line Length.

You may be able to get this by using the BE BRAS Test; but unfortunately it does not work for all lines-

http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker

If it does work and also provides a Cabinet Number - make a note of this.

Also get some idea of the following two distances-

1) Point-to-point from the Exchange to your house

2) The (main) road distance from the Exchange to your house

If you can locate the numbered Cabinet, does it lie beyond your house relative to the Exchange, or closer.

Obviously there is little that can be done to the routing of your phone line (other than repair/remaking) of joints; but you will have a better idea of where it runs and be better able to assess where problems may arise.

In my own case, the cabinet is about 25 metres away directly across the road - BUT "my line" from the cabinet to my house is about 125 metres long, as it goes via a small, inconspicuous, jointing box about 50 metres away at right-angles to the "obvious" straight line route.

Strangely, the cabinet is directly outside a neighbours garden, so apparently shorter; but the records show that the neighbour's phone line is about 1340 Metres long!

So where does it wander to locally?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to