General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Oct-13 11:26:46
Print Post

Broadband advice sites

[link to this post]

Hi all, I have a request from some colleagues for a site that we can point people at so that they can find out about broadband and what their options are. Obviously there is Samknows, TBB, Uswitch, kitz, etc but looking for something that is non technical, impartial and not ad/referral biased.

Does anyone know of any independent or government websites that provide simple advice and explanations that we could point people to?

Cheers.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 03-Oct-13 11:29:10
Print Post

Re: Broadband advice sites

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

What's wrong with the Main Site of these forums? The forums are just a side-show.

My help site is also a lot noddier than Kitz and Samknows - more of an intro level and refers to them for deeper stuff.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 03-Oct-13 11:30:58)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Oct-13 11:34:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Bob. I agree it does have some helpful info - one of my colleagues is sure there is a gov sponsored or adverstised site that he has been pointed to before but can't remember what it is called - despite 10 years or more of being involved in broadband I had never heard of it so thought I would throw it out to the community here.

EDIT : I have never really read the items on the main site barring the news. Shame on me - lots of good stuff there. Have suggested it as a first option but if anyone has any other suggestions all would be greatfully received.

Edited by ian72 (Thu 03-Oct-13 11:43:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Oct-13 12:09:17
Print Post

To be honest if there was a gov sponsored site I would be laughing at the content probably.

Cannot think of anything, did write a 'how to improve speed guide' for the Scottish Government a few years back, but otherwise the BDUK stuff has no technical explanations at all.

Maybe he was thinking of ADSLguide.org.uk which is our old name.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 03-Oct-13 12:11:36
Print Post

There's a huge amount on the Main Site once you dig down through the menus smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 03-Oct-13 12:24:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Maybe he was thinking of http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/price-comparison/

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Oct-13 12:37:04
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Maybe, but given a lot of those I know harvest the techie bits from our news and just react to the affiliate system emails all it means is they can afford to splurge on the fee to Ofcom for the accreditation logo.

One simple example

What is fibre optic broadband? At its simplest level it's just a broadband supply that's delivered to your house by means of a fibre optic cable, rather than over your older copper BT telephone line.

It is sites like that lead to me sitting in a FTTH conference and having to explain to a poor journalist that EE does not have its own FTTH network in the UK, when they asked why the EE UK Fibre network was not in the stats.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Oct-13 12:49:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks all. I had thought if there was such a site I might have heard of it with the time I have spent on here.

TBB looks like absolutely the best bet and have passed on the link to the excellently written guides.
  Print Thread

Jump to