General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Tue 15-Oct-13 23:49:53
Print Post

Getting a stuck IP profile sorted

[link to this post]

My neighbour has just gone with TalkTalk and used to be with BT and before that was a talktalk reseller.

He had just under 7 meg with previous providers and had TalkTalk switched on Thursday but the profile is stuck at 4 meg, gets 3993 sync or 4023 or something and upload is about 500

He has a good line and is ADSL2+ just 1.7 miles from exchange hence the slower speed, I am his neighbour and I also get 7 meg speed

He tried talktalk live chat first who claimed his line was 4 megabytes maximum and he could get no more so if he dispuetd it to phone the tech support.

He phone tech support and had it on speaker so I could hear him, as they were foreign they did not understand it was just a stuck ip profile and said it had to be escalated then he got strange texts saying things like they detected a possible router problem and they had to book an engineer.

How can he explain to them its just a stuck profile since his upload being low and download stuck at 4 meg(and speedtests saying 3.3 meg) show this.

He uses wired connection to pc and had has a bt installed filtered faceplate(I have the same)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 16-Oct-13 00:01:50
Print Post

Re: Getting a stuck IP profile sorted

[re: mittenkrust] [link to this post]

Is it TalkTalk LLU, or the terrible TalkTalk using BT Wholesale? (Knowing the exchange would 99%/100% tell us).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(member) Wed 16-Oct-13 00:23:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

LLU since the exchange is unbundled, he was with a talktalk reseller before so he can get the 7 meg on talktalk equipment

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 16-Oct-13 00:24:56
Print Post

In that case it doesn't have an IP Profile, so they wouldn't have a clue what it is.

It's possible that, like Sky, they start a new connection at 4Mbps then ramp it up over a few days.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 16-Oct-13 00:25:41)

(member) Wed 16-Oct-13 01:11:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ah I assumed it was a ip profile still as they say leave the router on for 10 days

The profile has stuck around that mark with about 30 in either direction for upload and download i.e if it was 4000 exactly would be 3970 or 4030, not exact numbers just showing a general amount as it could be 4027

I assume its a software thing on their end? Also if they sent out a openreach engineer and they said it was a software fault would they charge my neighbour?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Oct-13 01:22:29
Print Post

Post his router stats.

LLu never has IP Profiles; only BTw based BB does. Everyone says '10 days' just to be cautious, but it really doesn't matter.

If it's at exchange end or their supplied router they can't possibly charge him. Anyway it won't be software, just a configuration setting.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 16-Oct-13 01:24:38)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Oct-13 01:29:18
Print Post

Possibly just a 9dB or perhaps even a 12dB downstream SNRM holding back the sync speed, SNRM may reduce in time...

I wouldn't bother with TalkTalk support nor their Qube technicians unless the line becomes unstable and the neighbours see very low sync speeds and the DSL drops frequently.
(member) Wed 16-Oct-13 13:12:19
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

No idea as literally the same day before it was transferred he was getting a solid 7 meg and I too get 7 meg(or 6 meg actually after the overhead)

I do have a spare router could maybe lend him, it could potentially be that as whenever the connection is idle the internet light goes red
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Oct-13 13:28:02
Print Post

Certainly a good plan to try an alternative router, adsl lead and micro filter(s) smile
  Print Thread

Jump to