General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User UCHM
(newbie) Fri 18-Oct-13 14:37:00
Print Post

Slow Broadband Speed

[link to this post]

Hi

We are having problems with our broadband speed, which used to be 10Mbps + and is now down to around 1Mbps.

We are on BT Business Total Broadband and have tried all the suggested troubleshooting on their site, tried their online chat and was on for nearly an hour while they ran line tests from their end and said we should be getting 14 - 15 Mbps, then took over a PC here and did the wholesale test which said 1 Mbps was all we able to get, and then went on a sales pitch for infinity, but as we are a charity we're not willing to fork out more money unless there is nothing that can be done with our existing broadband.

Anyone have any ideas as to what we could do to get the broadband back to a reasonable speed?

The wholesale test results were:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.01 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-1 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1.01 Mbps

We are using a Linksys WAG350N router and we have a separate line for the broadband which is not used for anything else. We have tried a different router (BT hub) but still have the same problem.

Router settings:
Encapsulation: PPPoA
Multiplexing: VC
QoS Type: UBR
Autodetect: Enabled
Virtual Circuit 0/38
Modulation: MultiMode

Router stats:

DSL Upstream Rate: 632 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 1152 Kbps

Down up
DSL Noise Margin: 23.4 dB 7.5 dB
DSL Attenuation: 24.5 dB 22.9 dB
DSL Transmit Power: 19.1 dBm 12.3 dBm

Any help anyone can give would be appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Oct-13 15:24:28
Print Post

Re: Slow Broadband Speed

[re: UCHM] [link to this post]

10 Mbps would be considered slow for your line.

Looks like a banded profile has been applied to the line. The line attenuation and noise margins give an estimated speed of 16550Kbps to 18750Kbps

Link to full estimate
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/index.php?param=RG...

Support should be able to spot this themselves, particularly as there is lots of spare noise margin available.

Phrases that might help with decent telephone support:
There was some line instability that has resulted in my line being banded, can you reset the banding and get the line to restart its learning profile.
If you don't improve my speeds in the next 2 weeks I will be calling back to request my migration code and expect to be released from any contract terms if there are no significant improvements.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User UCHM
(newbie) Fri 18-Oct-13 15:39:17
Print Post

Re: Slow Broadband Speed

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi

Thank you for this wording. I will give it a try and see what happens.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to