General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sat 19-Oct-13 19:54:27
Print Post

'Link Down' - what is it?

[link to this post]

On Oct 8th, by ADSL stopped working. Looked at the router info and it said 'Link down': not something I've seen before. There was no information at all showing for the usual stats.
Normally, the 'disconnect' button has changed to 'connect' if it's gone down for some reason.
Then I saw that in the log, it wasn't trying to reconnect at all. Info stopped after it reported the loss of connection.
It was a fine, sunny day.

After an hour, I called my ISP and they could find no reason for it, nor were there any BT faults reported. I was told to call back if it wasn't back up in 2 hours.
It came back up almost two hours later.

Today, the very same thing happened at 3.30pm - 'link down' and the log showing no attempts to reconnect.
It came back up at 5.30.
Again, at the time it was a fine sunny day. (Changed at 7pm though)

I've had higher down noise margins since some thundery weather at the end of August caused it to disconnect briefly, and despite those two 'link down' episodes this month, it's still high today: 9.3down 6.0up
This is how it looks now (we have a thunderstorm just moving away):
Operational Mode ADSL2+
Upstream 1136
Downstream 8480
SNR Margin(Upstream) 6.1
SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.1
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 27.0
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 46.5

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Oct-13 08:15:15
Print Post

Re: 'Link Down' - what is it?

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

If your router isn't trying to auto reconnect, the first thing I'd suggest you do is swap it out.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-Oct-13 09:12:51
Print Post

Link down usually refers to there being no AdSL link.

Modem is seeing no response to the initial are there calls to the exchange, hence no sync speeds.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 20-Oct-13 09:25:02
Print Post

You say that whilst the link was down you called your ISP- was this using the same line that the modem is connected to?

Just to confirm that the line to the exchange hadn't suffered some sort of fault.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sun 20-Oct-13 11:13:48
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks Zarjaz - On both occasions, the router (7800n) reconnected fine once whatever the problem was had cleared. System up remained, just the ADSL was showing 'Link down'.
Just as on the 8th, after some hours, it briefly lost adsl at around 1.34am last night but I didn't even notice it.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Oct-13 11:21:08
Print Post

'course, it could have been the other end of things. When it was down, was whichever light indicates sync on the router, blinking mournfully ?

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sun 20-Oct-13 11:25:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Mr Saffron - these two incidents aren't something I've noticed before. Normally if it goes down, the router button changes from 'Disconnect' to 'Connect' and the log shows it trying to reconnect by itself.

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sun 20-Oct-13 11:29:13
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thanks Bill - yes, the same line. Phone working perfectly and no noise on the line.

No BT fault showed up on the lists either.
My connection is usually quite stable and ISP tech could see no reaon for it being down.

Perhaps a fault somewhere on the ISP's equipment?

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sun 20-Oct-13 11:30:22
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yes, all lights were on but the 'internet' one was indeed blinking rather sadly.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Oct-13 11:55:36
Print Post

Hmm, so since the router seemed to be telling you it couldn't find anything to talk too, I still say it's your router or the CP's port in the exchange. One is going to be a lot easier to rule out than the other.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to