General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User maverick54
(newbie) Mon 21-Oct-13 21:38:52
Print Post

Do TalkTalk own their own phone lines?

[link to this post]

My BT Broadband contract is almost up after 12months and I am thinking of changing to talktalk to save money.

Whats confusing me is that my phone line is owned by BT and TalkTalk claim to use their own or install one if need be.

As I live in an over 55s complex they would not be allowed to install a new line. Does this mean I have to stay with BT as they own the phone line?

Slightly Confused thanks
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Oct-13 22:01:52
Print Post

Re: Do TalkTalk own their own phone lines?

[re: maverick54] [link to this post]

BT Openreach own all phone lines from exchange to premises (except Virgin cable, of course, and Kingston-upon-Hull Comms). They rent it to TT who connect it to their LLU kit in exchange, if present, and TT then provides a PSTN service over their own network instead of BT's.

When you order a new line the existing copper line owned by BTOR is used, but you may have to pay some connection fee for making the new arrangement.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 21-Oct-13 23:34:48
Print Post

[re: maverick54] [link to this post]

As XRaySpeX says, except he omits to say TalkTalk can take over your BT (Retail) phone line. That is what normally happens, so somewhere you and the person you were speaking to have got in a tangle.

The line itself still belongs to BT Openreach, and so would any line TalkTalk got installed.

Possibly the person you spoke to doesn't know the difference between BT (Retail) and Openreach. TalkTalk telephone help lines do not have a good reputation.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User John467
(newbie) Sun 03-Nov-13 17:07:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

With reference to this thread I found this on the TT web site very misleading in my opinion and as we all know completely wrong

7.Why do you charge line rental for broadband?

Line rental is the cost that all phone and broadband providers charge for an active phone line into your home. Some providers use phone lines that are owned by BT which can mean higher line rental. At TalkTalk we own all our telephone lines and that's why we can offer such great value broadband and competitive priced line rental. You could save even more by taking our annual Value Line Rental.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Nov-13 17:27:10
Print Post

[re: John467] [link to this post]

LOL - First post, does that mean this has caused a problem?

Not good!
FWIW This is mentioned here: https://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/broadband/simplybb on the FAQ tab - someone should tell TT...

Standard User John467
(newbie) Sun 03-Nov-13 17:41:51
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

No I just saw a similar post on another forum checked TT's web site and spotted that in their FAQ's a very misleading statement not sure how Advertising standards would view that sort of comment
Standard User Bob_s2
(experienced) Sun 03-Nov-13 17:47:25
Print Post

[re: John467] [link to this post]

May depend on how the situation is deemed legally. Personally I cannot see how TTT can claim to own the line. They just in effect lease the line. The line remains BT's and BT retain responsibility for maintaining it
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Sun 03-Nov-13 17:48:49
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
BT Openreach own all phone lines from exchange to premises (except Virgin cable, of course, and Kingston-upon-Hull Comms). They rent it to TT who connect it to their LLU kit in exchange, if present, and TT then provides a PSTN service over their own network instead of BT's.

When you order a new line the existing copper line owned by BTOR is used, but you may have to pay some connection fee for making the new arrangement.

Remember who you are directing your answer at LLU, PSTN etc.....
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Nov-13 18:31:48
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

You can always use Wikipedia etc., or even Goggle, if you don't know what they mean. I'm not in business of reinventing the wheel. OP only has to ask and he shall receive.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 03-Nov-13 20:45:13
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
OP only has to ask and he shall receive.
Not if he moves to TalkTalk tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.2/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to