General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User maverick54
(newbie) Wed 23-Oct-13 10:23:51
Print Post

Move from Bt to TalkTalk

[link to this post]

Planning to migrate from BT to TalkTalk. (phone & broadband)

Am I best to let TalkTalk do it all for me as per their website where they get the mac code etc off BT. or am I best to get the mac code from BT myself and give it to TalkTalk. Notice BT say there is a £30 cease charge if I dont request a mac code.

Cant see on TalTalk's automated webpages where I can give it to them myself.

Will I need to cancel my BT or will it be cancelled automatically if TalkTalk deal with it all and request the mac code?

Good advice needed please to avoid extra charges.
Thanks

Edited by maverick54 (Wed 23-Oct-13 10:37:40)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Oct-13 10:50:10
Print Post

Re: Move from Bt to TalkTalk

[re: maverick54] [link to this post]

They won't use a MAC, as TalkTalk is full LLU and as its a migration but from SMPF to MPF it should not cause a cease charge to be raised. Generally no harm in obtaining the MAC yourself and you can sometimes get good retention deals at the same time.

BT will be notified of your order and this should trigger letters/emails giving you the option to cancel the move and letter should set out account closure information too.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Oct-13 11:12:40
Print Post

If it is a condition of contract to request a MAC in order to avoid a cease charge, then you should do so.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User maverick54
(newbie) Wed 23-Oct-13 11:39:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks guys, should be ok for TalkTalk to handle it all then.

Cant see anyway BT can offer me anything cheaper than TalkTalk's deals at the moment.
Dont need a phone to make calls and their value line rental plus unlimited broadband at £2.50 per month seems to good to be true.

Ive read about their poor customer service but is B.T. or Virgin Media any better really?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Oct-13 11:52:29
Print Post

Given the many millions with TalkTalk you would expect a much louder volume of complaints, fair to say they are not perfect but with some pre-planning e.g. registering on their user forums once live and before you are desperate to get support would help.

Its like cheap air travel, prepare and the experience can be reasonable.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 23-Oct-13 12:26:01
Print Post

I agree with XRaySpeX.

Additionally, although TalkTalk do not need the MAC, you may find your notice period with BT will be deemed to start with the issue of the MAC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Oct-13 12:38:56
Print Post

And be sure to get confirmation from BT that the notification has been actioned: when making contact with BT Retail I always ask for at least a text message confirming that any changes to the account (or line faults) are being dealt with.
Standard User Speedchaser
(regular) Wed 23-Oct-13 13:52:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Not trying to bump this thread but as posted in a different thread I am considering moving from BT to TT (though would stay with BT if the offered a reasonable deal). My question though and may also interest the OP is if I change all services including line rental to TT will my current phone number remain the same? Also here is a link to my Stats
Results

It has been posted that transferring to the same service by a different provider will should result in same/very similar speeds? Does TT throttle at all on FTTC? I live a long long way from the cabinet so much BT engineer was surprised I got any usable speed at all. If I transferred could the switch mean I use a different physical line from the cabinet which could result in poor or no speed?

Edited by Speedchaser (Wed 23-Oct-13 13:54:39)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Oct-13 13:58:38
Print Post

[re: Speedchaser] [link to this post]

My question though and may also interest the OP is if I change all services including line rental to TT will my current phone number remain the same?

The same question might arrive in the future if you decide to leave the TalkTalk network and go back to a provider using the BTw network. smile

Alastair

plusnet
Standard User Speedchaser
(regular) Wed 23-Oct-13 14:05:18
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

True, question would be valid regardless of which 'ship' you were jumping. I'm guessing that the MAC code is required to keep the old number? I have no idea if this is correct though?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to