General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Sat 26-Oct-13 13:12:22
Print Post

Broadband for a neebie pesioner

[link to this post]

What I am trying to do is get a housebound pensioner connected to broadband for the first time and to reduce phone call charges. The last quarter's bill for a couple of dozen calls to family was over £80. In a virgin media area and on a EO BT line.

I can't find a package that gives anytime calls and light usage broadband for the less than £49 a month after introductory offers end. Any ideas and suggestions to find something a bit cheaper?

A possible complication is the currently attached medical alarm unit on the phone line.

With thanks in advance.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 26-Oct-13 13:23:03
Print Post

Re: Broadband for a neebie pesioner

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Which exchange please?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Sat 26-Oct-13 13:26:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Wroughton Nr Swindon 01793 812xxx

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 26-Oct-13 13:35:34
Print Post

What type of medical alarm? Is it just an autodialler or is it one which relies on "out of band" signalling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Sat 26-Oct-13 13:47:44
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
What type of medical alarm? Is it just an autodialler or is it one which relies on "out of band" signalling.

I'm afraid I don't know. I will have to contact Swindon BC on Monday to find out.

I understand what an autodialler is but have no knowledge of what out of band signalling is. Does this device inhibit broadband on the line?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 26-Oct-13 13:53:22
Print Post

Plusnet Essentials Broadband and calls.

It's a Market 2 exchange so the banner prices apply, not the higher ones hinted at by the "from"s littered about.

ADSLx Broadband £5.99
Line rental £14.50
Anytime calls (UK) £5

Total £25.99pm.
Anytime International is a bit more. Is that required?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 26-Oct-13 14:10:27
Print Post

Out of Band means that it is above the normal voice frequencies. There is some latitude for them to work but filters may inhibit operation.

However, you will not be the first and many others will have had to deal with this already.

If it is an auto dialler, then it will just need a standard filter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Sat 26-Oct-13 14:14:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Plusnet Essentials Broadband and calls.

It's a Market 2 exchange so the banner prices apply, not the higher ones hinted at by the "from"s littered about.

ADSLx Broadband £5.99
Line rental £14.50
Anytime calls (UK) £5

Total £25.99pm.
Anytime International is a bit more. Is that required?

No, just UK calls so it looks ideal; just got to make sure it doesn't upset the working of the alarm on the line. I'll ring Swindon BC on Monday to "get the facts".

Effectively this means that broadband provision won't cost any more than the last bill from BT and comes with the opportunity to make more calls for nothing. I am afraid monies available don't stretch to any yearly upfront line rental saver plans. Of course whole bill DD has been invoked but you can't do anything about the new £2 bill provision if you haven't got broadband!

The BT Broadband checker against the phone number shows WBC ADSL 2+ [with or without Annex M] as being available. I'll check out the web site but in case I can't find what the setup costs are, would someone please enlighten me.

However being as "cheap as chips", will this offering match what it says on the tin to give a hassle free experience?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 26-Oct-13 14:31:30
Print Post

What was the estimated speed?

Click the Show details button on the product - it says "Free setup, save £25" smile.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Oct-13 14:55:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
The last quarter's bill for a couple of dozen calls to family was over £80.
Why so high for just a few calls? Even now with BT Anytime Calls it would cost £67 per Q; last year even less.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to