General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bob_s2
(experienced) Sun 27-Oct-13 08:58:40
Print Post

BT Moaning About High Cost of Access An Operators Network

[link to this post]

THis is a real gem from BT who having imposed very high charges for accessing its network in the UK is now moaning about the high cost of accessing other operators networks in the US

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/medi...
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 08:46:06
Print Post

Re: BT Moaning About High Cost of Access An Operators Networ

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

Did you read the article? The one that states the amount they can charge US companies is capped and much lower than those same US companies are charging BT? And are BT wholesale costs for ADSL/Fibre actually that high - considering the amount companies over here are able to charge they seem pretty low (and where they aren't they may be artificially higher because of Ofcom trying to force competition).

This article might also give some insight into the differences in costs between here and our US cousins.
Standard User zom22
(regular) Mon 28-Oct-13 09:18:47
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Everytime some know nothing knowall starts ranting on the Plusnet website forums about how UK's broadband charges are "outrageous and out of control" I quote some of the USA figures for a broadband service back at them.
Strangely they go very quiet at this point.......................

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 09:35:09
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

I have to say I don't know how the companies make a profit that charge such stupidly low amounts for BB (such as TalkTalk). But people expect perfect service for next to nothing - British culture at its worst, I'd rather pay more and get what I want rather than pay less and complain about it.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 10:03:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
I have to say I don't know how the companies make a profit that charge such stupidly low amounts for BB (such as TalkTalk). But people expect perfect service for next to nothing - British culture at its worst, I'd rather pay more and get what I want rather than pay less and complain about it.
Excellent post, I totally agree with you.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Oct-13 10:43:39
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
In reply to a post by ian72:
Excellent post, I totally agree with you.
I agree too - it is important to adjust your expectations appropriately. As the wonderful "The Twelve Networking Truths" (RFC 1925) points out:
Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two (you can't have all three).
I thoroughly recommend the remainder of the document.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Mon 28-Oct-13 13:13:29
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Another problem with the UK system is fault reporting, particularly if phone rental and broadband are paid for via different (even non LLU) suppliers. I would prefer to deal with one company that has complete control, rather than a divorced relationship as happens with BT Openreach now.

Michael Chare
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Mon 28-Oct-13 13:26:46
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

I know this xD

Cincinnati Bell - FIoptics 10/2
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Oct-13 14:26:14
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Which essential means you can't do wholesaling of services leaving you in the US position where there is only competition at the network level and therefore few "competing" providers and probable high cost for services.
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Fri 01-Nov-13 11:09:07
Print Post

So BT is whinging about it's American equivalent, diddums.

Folks in the UK tend to expect low prices because they hear about other countries having maybe 100 Meg or 1 Gig fibre for 10-15 dollars a month which is seen as low though of course may not be if taking into account an exchange rate.

The difference is of course these governments sunk money into fibre backbones and infrastructure, what did we spend it on, oh yeah big tents and the Olympic games.

BT has been allowed to do what it wants pretty much.

Watchdog did of course highlight the silly situation with Openreach which is now accountable to nobody.

Isn't it time for it to be forcibly removed from BT Group and become mutually owned by all the service providers just like the London Internet Exchange.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to