General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User astanden
(regular) Sun 27-Oct-13 12:23:04
Print Post

New provider

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

My elderly father is currently with O2/Sky for broadband and BT for line rental. If he moves house but wants to change to Plusnet for a combined package at the new address, does he just cancel BT & Sky and order Plusnet to start at new address on moving in day or is it a bit more complicated?

Thanks,

Adam

MacBook Pro 15" 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 500 GB HDD
iPad (3rdGen) 32GB
iPhone 5 16GB

BT Infinity FTTC Unlimited
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 27-Oct-13 12:27:32
Print Post

Re: New provider

[re: astanden] [link to this post]

Correct, cancel at old address and then order totally from scratch at the new address.

Only gotcha really would be if in the minimum contract term for any of the services, and that just means paying a little extra

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User astanden
(regular) Mon 28-Oct-13 06:44:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thankyou for a quick reply. No minimum contract with either. How far in advance should he order new service for it to be turned on on moving day?

Regards,

Adam

MacBook Pro 15" 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 500 GB HDD
iPad (3rdGen) 32GB
iPhone 5 16GB

BT Infinity FTTC Unlimited

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Oct-13 10:05:57
Print Post

Lead time - impossible to predict accurately, e.g. weather may not be playing havoc with new orders as existing lines get fixed in order of priority.

Generally place order 3 to 4 weeks in advance, but some have talked online of a couple of months lead time...

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Oct-13 12:19:32
Print Post

This is called a Simultaneous Provide. The lead time for these tends to be a bit longer than a normal stand-alone line provide.

In the case of PlusNet you need to talk to them about the Simultaneous Provide requirement, not just order the package online. That's because the line order has to be raised on Openreach by the ISP with a special form of order number, (Linked OrdeR Number - LORN), that is then quoted by them on the broadband order. Openreach recognise the LORN and bring the two orders together for simultaneous connection.

A standard order would normally result in a line provision with a broadband connection a few days later.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 28-Oct-13 12:20:49)

Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Mon 28-Oct-13 12:40:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

it also gets more complex if you want to retain the original phone number
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Oct-13 12:44:30
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

That's a point.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to