General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stowman
(newbie) Thu 31-Oct-13 11:48:00
Print Post

Can 2 ISP's provide ADSL on the same phone line?

[link to this post]

Is it possible to have a phone line on which two different ISP's (BT and TalkTalk) are simultaneously providing ADSL?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 31-Oct-13 11:58:24
Print Post

Re: Can 2 ISP's provide ADSL on the same phone line?

[re: stowman] [link to this post]

NO.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User stowman
(newbie) Thu 31-Oct-13 14:29:14
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Can you give a fuller explanation for your answer, please, MHC?

Because that's what I have today!!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 31-Oct-13 14:30:59
Print Post

Not possible. TalkTalk will accept any username and password combination so plugging in the HomeHub will work, although it'll still be on TalkTalk not BT. I guess this is what you're doing and then assuming you're on BT too.

Not sure if BT accepts any username / password.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 31-Oct-13 14:31:11)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Oct-13 14:34:22
Print Post

The full answer is a very long, but an intermediate one is this:

If the two providers use the same wholesale provider, then usually the authentication systems limit you to one provider at a time. Even if you have two username/passwords they usually limit you to just one on a connection.

At the exchange side the vast majority of cases the a BT Retail connection would be on totally different hardware to a TalkTalk or Sky based service too.

If you can elaborate on your issue it may be we can explain without writing a long essay that covers all the permutations of products out there.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Oct-13 14:42:21
Print Post

If you look up the IP addy you are being allocated here: http://whois.domaintools.com/ it will tell you to whom you are actually connected.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User stowman
(newbie) Thu 31-Oct-13 14:53:35
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I was on BT's ADSL service on a BT phone line, and had such terrible troubles with them that I decided to switch both to TalkTalk -- something I thought I would never do!

So, I went online and signed up on TalkTalk's website for both broadband (TalkTalk's SimplyBroadband) and phone line with TalkTalk, and was given a changeover date of October 30th, with the usual proviso of "any time up to midnight".

But this morning (Oct 31st) my broadband was still connecting via my BTHomeHub3.

I then unplugged the HomeHub and set up the router supplied by TalkTalk, and that worked too!

Hence my question, because I didn't think that was possible!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Oct-13 15:00:59
Print Post

So, what's your IP addy, with each router?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Oct-13 16:00:29
Print Post

If you goto http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ip.html this will tell your IP address and what is known as the reverse DNS name and this will mention Opal or TalkTalk.

TalkTalk when they switch you over, switch you onto their own hardware and they rely on the physical security of the line into the hardware and as such use no authentication, so this is why the old HomeHub worked without the need to change anything.

So you are not with two providers at the same time at all.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User stowman
(newbie) Thu 31-Oct-13 16:52:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you Andrew. That explains it!!

I don't want to unplug the TalkTalk router to test if the HomeHub gives me the same IP address, thereby proving your point, because surely during the 10 days "training" period I want to avoid unnecessary router restarts, don't I?

Anyway, I'm sure your explanation is correct! Thanks for your help.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to