General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bob12345
(learned) Fri 01-Nov-13 10:19:24
Print Post

Fiber - getting 36 mpbs on 200mbs homeplugs (69mbs on Lan)

[link to this post]

Hi there

when connected to the router via LAN get around 65 mbps, when using the TP-LINK 200mbps, same distance from the router as the LAN cable ( 1meter), get about 50mbps, when using them in a different room get about 36mbps.

do i need to upgrade to a pair of 500mbps to get the 69mbps speed through the homeplugs?

many thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Nov-13 10:23:35
Print Post

Re: Fiber - getting 36 mpbs on 200mbs homeplugs (69mbs on La

[re: bob12345] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/70-de... compared the Devolo 500 and 200 units, and similar speeds so yes need the 500 Meg units to get the LAN type speeds

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bob12345
(learned) Fri 01-Nov-13 11:04:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

many thanks, i assume the TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 unit will do the job just as good as the Devolo ones?, as Amazon as these on offer at less than £ 30 a pair

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Nov-13 11:48:02
Print Post

No reason to suspect it won't do the same sort of speeds

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 01-Nov-13 14:48:39
Print Post

I wish homeplugs got banned they cause so much interference.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 01-Nov-13 14:54:52
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I agree. Have seen several cases where removal of Homeplugs increased te sync speed of a VDSL connection. They run at 2-28Mhz and iif/when VDSL moved to profile 30 the situation will become worse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(experienced) Fri 01-Nov-13 16:33:54
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

FWIW, I have recently started using a Devolo dLAN 500 starter kit consisting of the main unit & 1 WiFi/Ethernet adapter due to Mrs. Eagle struggling to play Candy Crush via Facebook since our FTTC connection's speed has reduced (allegedly due to crosstalk).

The connection's sync speed prior to installing these homeplugs was around 20 Mbps & I have seen no deterioration or increased error counts etc. since installing them.

The main unit is located around 4 feet away from my PC, Netgear Router, switch & HG612 modem & the adapter (used as WiFi) is now located in another room.

The setup is very reliable, Mrs. Eagle now recieves most of the 20 Mbps available VDSL2 bandwidth & I have seen no evidence whatsoever of any 'interference'.

However, I am unable to comment on the effect on a higher speed connection able to use the higher frequency tones as used by some VDSL2 connections.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Nov-13 17:34:40
Print Post

Just worth asking, are the current home plugs direct in to the electric sockets, as in not plugged in to an extension bar, as I have seen this cripple speeds too.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 01-Nov-13 17:38:24
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
I agree. Have seen several cases where removal of Homeplugs increased te sync speed of a VDSL connection. They run at 2-28Mhz and iif/when VDSL moved to profile 30 the situation will become worse.

sadly they wont get banned and even if they did it will hardly be enforcable. There is simply too many out there now in people's homes. So even if they were took of the shelves tommorow the damage is done.

One of my sister's got some homeplugs last week as well, the alternative was getting a 50m ethernet cable probably round the outside of the house to the room they wanted, in my opinion not overly hard and expensive but her boyfriend considered the cost of the cable too much and got homeplugs instead.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 01-Nov-13 18:26:01
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

It will be very dependent on where cables run, where the plug is inserted, possibly frequencies in use ...

One I can remember pushed a 60Mbps connection up to around 63 to 64 Mbps and it dropped back when the home plug was re-inserted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to