General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Fri 01-Nov-13 14:49:36
Print Post

BT to spend £450m p.a. on sport.

[link to this post]

BT are reported as being going to spend £450m on BT Sport (DT - B2).

How many new customers do they need to attract to justify this expenditure?

Of course it may (or may not) help them to retain existing customers.

Michael Chare
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 01-Nov-13 14:54:27
Print Post

Re: BT to spend £450m p.a. on sport.

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I think they failed to attract the amount they expected and hence the record breaking price rises we seeing now.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 01-Nov-13 15:01:08
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
I think they failed to attract the amount they expected and hence the record breaking price rises we seeing now.

The Telegraph states:

BT’s £1bn gamble on sports television has shown early signs of paying off, with the company’s consumer division growing for the first time in a decade.

The telecoms giant, which is giving its sports channels away for free to broadband subscribers in an attempt to plug the leak of customers to rival operators, grew its base of broadband users by 156,000 in the quarter to September 30.

This was 45,000 more than BSkyB, whose rapid ascendance in the broadband market has forced BT’s move into sports television.

They certainly don't suggest it is a failure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 01-Nov-13 17:35:17
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:

The Telegraph states:

BT’s £1bn gamble on sports television has shown early signs of paying off, with the company’s consumer division growing for the first time in a decade.

The telecoms giant, which is giving its sports channels away for free to broadband subscribers in an attempt to plug the leak of customers to rival operators, grew its base of broadband users by 156,000 in the quarter to September 30.

This was 45,000 more than BSkyB, whose rapid ascendance in the broadband market has forced BT’s move into sports television.

They certainly don't suggest it is a failure.

They were growing anyway, so to grow at trhe same pace they were before I would consider a failure.

Also how do you explain the out of character price increases, BT have had the same price structure for caller display, bt privacy etc in place for several years and suddenly it gets changed on a whim?

Standard User tonym
(member) Fri 01-Nov-13 19:44:57
Print Post

They were growing anyway, so to grow at trhe same pace they were before I would consider a failure.

Also how do you explain the out of character price increases, BT have had the same price structure for caller display, bt privacy etc in place for several years and suddenly it gets changed on a whim?

You might be reading too much into the hype about those particular price increases.

Warren Buckley from BT stated in front of a Parliamentary committee that "If a customer is in contarct on the phone then there is no increase.
When the current contract ends, then customers can sign up for anothe 12 month contract and Caller ID will still be free.
If a customer does not wish to start a new contract and wishes to remain on a rolling monthly one then they will incur the charge of £1.75 a month for caller ID. But there is also a saving to be made here. At the moment customers on a calling plan have to make a minimum number of calls a month or get charged a fee(I cannot remember how much this was but it was about £3.00 ) This will cease so they could still end up paying less.

It was stated in a All Party Parliamentary group meeting into nuisance calls and Caller ID and possible charges was brought up.

You can read what was said here. Its a long read but go down to about page 32.

http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/no2nuisancecall...

tonym
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 01-Nov-13 19:50:38
Print Post

[re: tonym] [link to this post]

that just means the increase is delayed at absolute max 17 months from the date,

The increases on line rental and call charges are also inflation busting and higher than in previous years.

Standard User tonym
(member) Fri 01-Nov-13 20:02:19
Print Post

that just means the increase is delayed at absolute max 17 months from the date,

The increases on line rental and call charges are also inflation busting and higher than in previous years.

Not saying your wrong, but tell me any company that says we will never increase our charges or we will never implement a new charge.

All I can tell you and point you too is that document, where a BT representative (Warren Buckley) stated to that Parliamentary group that, customers under contract will not be paying a charge for Caller ID

tonym
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 01-Nov-13 20:24:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by tonym:
Warren Buckley from BT stated in front of a Parliamentary committee that "If a customer is in contarct on the phone then there is no increase.
When the current contract ends, then customers can sign up for anothe 12 month contract and Caller ID will still be free.
If a customer does not wish to start a new contract and wishes to remain on a rolling monthly one then they will incur the charge of £1.75 a month for caller ID. But there is also a saving to be made here. At the moment customers on a calling plan have to make a minimum number of calls a month or get charged a fee(I cannot remember how much this was but it was about £3.00 ) This will cease so they could still end up paying less.
I'd like to know where you have missed out the closing quotation mark there, of what Warren Buckley said.

However, I don't see where you get "... they could still end up paying less" from. The calls that need to be made can be 0800/0845 or within your calling plan. As I think everyone barring BT Basic customers now have a calling plan, there is no cost that will cease.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User tonym
(member) Fri 01-Nov-13 21:49:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by tonym:
If a customer does not wish to start a new contract and wishes to remain on a rolling monthly one then they will incur the charge of £1.75 a month for caller ID."

But there is also a saving to be made here. At the moment customers on a calling plan have to make a minimum number of calls a month or get charged a fee(I cannot remember how much this was but it was about £3.00 ) This will cease so they could still end up paying less.
I'd like to know where you have missed out the closing quotation mark there, of what Warren Buckley said.

However, I don't see where you get "... they could still end up paying less" from. The calls that need to be made can be 0800/0845 or within your calling plan. As I think everyone barring BT Basic customers now have a calling plan, there is no cost that will cease.

I have added the " " in the quote above RobertoS.

As regards the minimum calls that trigger the charge, yes I know, and maybe others know that they can be the 0800/0845 numbers that you call to ensure that you are not going to be paying the charge but if you view the BT forums you might find it surprising the number of customers who make very few outgoing calls and do get caught up in the charge.

Its also best if people read the words of the BT representative at the parliamentary group meeting

tonym
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 02-Nov-13 00:11:10
Print Post

You can edit the original for up to 12 hours smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to