General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 01-Nov-13 19:53:49
Print Post

Free BT WiFi, not a BT Broadband customer

[link to this post]

Today I received an email apparently from BT, containing
Simple to stay connected
It's now even easier for you to stay connected on the go for free with unlimited BT Wi-fi. This is great news, as it means you won't have to use your data allowance when you're out and about.
Setting up a wireless connection on your smartphone, laptop or tablet is a doddle - anyone can do it. Just follow either link below and you'll be on BT Wi-fi in no time.
There are then two links, one for if I will be using tablet or smartphone, and one for laptops. There are three other links for various things. All five start www.bt.com/ which looks OK to me.

I have a BT landline but PlusNet FTTC.

Anybody know anything about this?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 01-Nov-13 19:59:52)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Fri 01-Nov-13 20:24:09
Print Post

Re: Free BT WiFi, not a BT Broadband customer

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Are the links genuine?

My Vodafone mobile a/c gives some access to BT Wi-Fi. It would be more useful if it was available at Gatwick Airport.

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 01-Nov-13 20:29:06
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

How do I know without clicking them smile. But I have checked them in the status bar by hovering the cursor over them, and also examined them in the email Source. Starting the way they do, see my OP, I'm not aware of any way they could go anywhere but BT.

The email address it has been sent to is one I issued only to BT.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flippery
(committed) Fri 01-Nov-13 21:14:31
Print Post

Standard email sent to all BT customers with email address on file
If you have BT Broadband can get free access to broadband anywhere there is a BT Hotspot or, where a user has Home Hub 4 ( Unsecured separate WiFi channel on each HH.)
Customers with BT Phone can download App onto mobile and use their unlimited minutes via Wifi or Mobile Internet channel.. Probably only useful for those with Phone and Broadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 01-Nov-13 21:56:58
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Are the links genuine?

My Vodafone mobile a/c gives some access to BT Wi-Fi. It would be more useful if it was available at Gatwick Airport.

Don't blame BT but blame the airports. They have their "chosen" WiFi providers who pay a fortune. If a retailer or bar makes WiFi available, such as a BT hotspot they are clamped down on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Fri 01-Nov-13 22:34:42
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Don't blame BT but blame the airports. They have their "chosen" WiFi providers who pay a fortune. If a retailer or bar makes WiFi available, such as a BT hotspot they are clamped down on.
Job for the CAA then. It is a pity that it is harder to avoid airports than hotels that don't offer free WiFi.

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 01-Nov-13 22:35:21
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flippery:
Do you know this, or just guessing? You are probably right, but that is idiotic. Also the first such I've ever received, after many years. Why has no-one yet said they have received one as well?
If you have BT Broadband can get free access to broadband anywhere there is a BT Hotspot or, where a user has Home Hub 4 ( Unsecured separate WiFi channel on each HH.)
I know, except it doesn't need to be a HH4 as long as they sign up to the system. That's why my email is odd.
Customers with BT Phone can download App onto mobile and use their unlimited minutes via Wifi or Mobile Internet channel.. Probably only useful for those with Phone and Broadband.
Again, I know, but no "probably" about it until this email.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Nov-13 22:42:30
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flippery:
How standard? Do you know this for a fact? I haven't received it as a BT Phone cust just like RobertoS.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 01-Nov-13 22:53:17
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Seeing as at the moment I haven't got a decent IS system running on this machine, just Windows Defender and Windows Firewall, I'm not risking clicking a link. But I've tried searching the BT website and no suggestion of anything without BT Broadband.

Standard User kitcat
(committed) Fri 01-Nov-13 23:42:37
Print Post

Roberto

https://my.btwifi.com/selfcare/purchase/chooseProduc...

From bt.com searched on wifi but not easy to find.

£6 pcm for 500min /month and a 12 month contract, so if you want it getting BT broadband seems the cheapest way ( then it's free). Just another hook to make BT Broadband a better choice (but quite a nice one)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to