General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User candy123
(newbie) Sun 10-Nov-13 00:45:29
Print Post

Getting 2 physical lines

[link to this post]

Hi am having problems with talktalk low sync speed with constant disconnection issue with bt not finding any problem saying its fine.....my queston is, as I am near end of my contract and want to move is there any way of getting another isp supplier and getting new line installed as I believe the problem with my speed is its old aluminium cable and possibly got high resistance somewhere, so paying 2 isp I.e talktalk for last 2 months and also getting different isp to start another contract out,with new line installed, no bother about having new number..(BT openreach wont even check on top of pole).
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 10-Nov-13 09:32:40
Print Post

Re: Getting 2 physical lines

[re: candy123] [link to this post]

A new line would not be a problem, but there are no guarantees that it will not be in the same bundle of pairs from exchange to cabinet and cabinet to pole; from there it will use the same drop-wire as you currently have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User candy123
(newbie) Sun 10-Nov-13 09:59:57
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Cant be same wire can it, from pole to house may be same cable from pole to cabinet....sorry drop wire take I you mean from pole to house

Edited by candy123 (Sun 10-Nov-13 10:02:34)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 10-Nov-13 10:04:26
Print Post

The drop-wire from pole to house will have 2 (or 4) pairs so one for existing and one for new. That same wire may also go from your pole across several more to top of pole junction box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Nov-13 10:07:39
Print Post

Usually the cable to the premises comes with 2 pairs; 1 connected and 1 spare. If that is your case BT OR will just use the spare. It probably (certainly?) travels the same route back to exchange.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User candy123
(newbie) Sun 10-Nov-13 10:53:39
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Right checked there is three wires comming from outside grey or three copper wire two are connected from box to a white wire which has 6 wires 2 are conected to other 2 outside with one spare.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 10-Nov-13 10:59:04
Print Post

I think a photo would be better to be honest.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Nov-13 13:52:12
Print Post

The only way to guarantee that a new line does not use any of the existing wires is, as you say, to order a new line before the old line is ceased.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 10-Nov-13 16:06:20
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

That surely doesn't prevent a second pair in the drop wire being used?

Or can a second drop wire be ordered by a customer/CP?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.2/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User candy123
(newbie) Sun 10-Nov-13 16:26:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Right first thing dropwire is that the cable which attached from pole to connection box or is it connection box to master socket because from outside is three grey wires two are connected in junction box other grey spare,which connects to white cable with 6 wire to master socket only 2 connected in junction box and 2 wire connected to master....
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to