General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jakg
(newbie) Mon 11-Nov-13 23:23:33
Print Post

Will a new router increase ADSL speeds?

[link to this post]

Im on a standard BT ADSL line, with no LLU, ADSL2+, Fibre etc options available.

I currently get around 6.9-7.2mbit which I think is pretty good.

I've been considering a new router - I currently have a BT HomeHub 4, and another Belkin router as a range extender at the other end of the house. Most stuff is wired, but a few devices are wireless. I was primarily thinking of a new router for WiFI transfer speed (I..e an AC router), but I was wondering if I'm likely to see any increase in ADSL speed from a better quality router (i.e. something like the top end Asus or DrayTek models) over what I have.

I'm currently using a BT iPlate in the master socket, but I've been considering a filtered faceplate although I'm not sure if it'll make a difference.

I know it'll not make a massive difference, but every little helps, right?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 11-Nov-13 23:28:53
Print Post

Re: Will a new router increase ADSL speeds?

[re: Jakg] [link to this post]

That sounds as though you are getting 8128kbps sync, with a 7150kbps IP Profile. If so, you cannot get any better than that without ADSL2+.

If you are getting the speeds you quote on speed tests, particularly if also via wireless, a new router would be a complete waste of money unless you want to increase your LAN speeds between your different pieces of equipment.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.2/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User babis3g
(regular) Tue 12-Nov-13 00:58:48
Print Post

can you post your line stats from your current modem?it should show line attenuator & adsl2 or plus

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 12-Nov-13 01:14:31
Print Post

As RobertoS says, you are probably achieving the maximum possible on an ADSL line.

To answer you question slightly differently. If a user has an attenuation and noise level which gave say, 5Mbps with 6dB SNR on their line, then changing router/modem could very well change the sync speed and throughput. It could increase the speed, decrease the speed or leave it the same. In fact two "identical" modems on a line can give different test results.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Jakg
(newbie) Tue 12-Nov-13 07:38:04
Print Post

[re: babis3g] [link to this post]

Line Stats:

DSL noise margin: 28.00 dB upstream, 15.00 dB downstream
DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 8128 Kbps downstream (7.938 Mbps)

It's ADSL, not ADSL2 / ADSL2+ (old exchange).
Standard User Jakg
(newbie) Tue 12-Nov-13 08:04:49
Print Post

To add, this is my exchange - http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EAMLS

I'm 1.65KM from the exchange (obviously straight line distance not cable length).
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 12-Nov-13 08:39:12
Print Post

You are at the max sync so there is no chance of getting anything faster on plain ADSL.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 12-Nov-13 13:35:15
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Possibly an 832kbps upstream, that's all, if his ISP supports that or he migrates if they don't.

Or faster inter-device communication on his LAN, as I replied to him.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.2/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Nov-13 14:11:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jakg:
8128 Kbps downstream (7.938 Mbps)
FYI: There isn't 1024 Ks in 1 M for comms; that's only for computer storage. For comms 1000 K = 1 M.

Just out of interest, what are your attenuation readings? To see how much ADSL2+ would benefit you if it ever came.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 12-Nov-13 14:13:26)

Standard User Jakg
(newbie) Tue 12-Nov-13 14:14:41
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

While thats interesting to note - you'll have to blame BT for that (I copied the stats right off the modem)!

Unfortunately the HomeHub 4 doesn't display attenuation at all so I can't give you any more information.

Theres no ADSL2 date set for this exchange, and it's a rented property I'll probably be out of in a year so I don't think I'll get it here frown
  Print Thread

Jump to