General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User diputs36
(newbie) Tue 12-Nov-13 07:32:43
Print Post

What noise source could cause....

[link to this post]

240000 CRCs and 3000 errored seconds per hour? This happened during Sunday and I am intrigued, what on earth could have resulted in such high rates. Would any domestic or DIY tool have such disruptive potential ?

BTW all is back to normal now.

Edited by diputs36 (Tue 12-Nov-13 07:33:38)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Nov-13 08:58:53
Print Post

Re: What noise source could cause....

[re: diputs36] [link to this post]

Are you sure it was noise? Could it have been a BT engineer doing something on someone else's line causing issues? Or possibly a problem with the DSLAM that they then fixed (did your line disconnect at all either at the start or end of the issue?).

If it was noise then the closer to the lines route the less noisy it has to be. If very close then almost anything electrical could do it. The further away the worse the electrical fault would need to be to cause that sort of noise.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 12-Nov-13 09:53:40
Print Post

Electric power tools can create a lot of electrical noise. It could have been something you were doing or a neighbour with a leaf blower/vac close to the pole or someone running a generator next to the cabinet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User diputs36
(newbie) Tue 12-Nov-13 10:17:23
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I assumed it! I use a monitoring app. Having examined the data I can't see disconnections in the graphs and the noise margins seem reasonably steady. The router's connection stats did show some resets. Speed was constant days before and throughout, though a Speednet test indicated a very low throughput, 2.5Mb vs 7.7Mb sync. A BTw test a little while later showed all normal.

BTW so BT work on Sundays?.

By cabinet, I presume PCP is meant. Ours is about a 8 minute walk away, and our line is underground, so no poles

Edited by diputs36 (Tue 12-Nov-13 10:22:58)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Nov-13 10:19:42
Print Post

BT I think may work on Sundays - especially in exceptional circumstances. Maybe doing repair works after the little storm or flooding or something?

If noise margin was stable then it suggests not directly noise related. But, as to what exactly caused it I would be clutching at straws - my guess would be something an engineer was doing somewhere.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Nov-13 10:21:00
Print Post

BT do work at weekends, you can pay extra for weekend appointments and of course faults fall into that zone too.

Most likely was a power tool or a chainsaw throwing out some RFI causing intermittent noise spikes, or if just slow speeds maybe lots of people using the Internet on a damp dark weekend.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 12-Nov-13 15:28:09
Print Post

Domestic cycling/running machines as well as tools.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.2/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User diputs36
(newbie) Tue 12-Nov-13 17:26:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Tools have to be beyond my property! I am no DIY man!. I have fridge, freezer, washing machine, and combi boiler. The freezer is new, and the CRCs and ESs were happening well outside times boiler and washing machine were operating.

The problem started again just before 4 pm.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Nov-13 17:39:02
Print Post

Yes the tools or source of interference could be anywhere between you and the exchange! frown

There have been many stories here on TBB where a failing SKY box or TV has affected large areas.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Nov-13 17:41:55
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Or a florescent light with dodgy starter.

Anything that makes noise that an AM radio will pick up can affect ADSL. Too early I'd hope to mention Christmas lights.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to