General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jay1986
(newbie) Sat 16-Nov-13 12:33:43
Print Post

Wireless Problems with Sky Hub - Tried Everything - Help

[link to this post]

I am having a lot of problems with my Sky Broadband.

I was with Be Broadband previously for 3 years and never had any issues with connection or wireless. Since joining Sky in August I have once again had no connection problems until 2 weeks ago.

Since 2 weeks ago my connection has continuously been dropping out and I am receiving very slow speeds. When I say dropping out it connects occasionally but will continue to disconnect (every 15-30mins).

When it is connected the speeds are very slow. I normally get 5-6MB and I am now getting 0.5MB-1MB at the most. Videos will barely load, download speeds are down to 40-50k. Making it virtually unusable.

When connected via Ethernet on my laptop the connection seems stable and the speeds are faster (4MB-5MB).

The problem is on all devices when connecting wirelessly (pc's, phones etc.)

I have spoken to Sky several times and been through all the troubleshooting options.

I have tried virtually every Wireless Channel available and none improve the issue. I've downloaded inSSIDer to see what other channels are being used and made sure I've tried others.

I have reset the router several times.

My router is plugged in to the test socket via a filter.

The lights all remain a steady white.

Telephone line works ok.

Although I have 2 other extensions, since these problems begun they have not been in use.

Sky have sent me a replacement router (I also changed the micro filters) which strangely worked like a dream for about 24-48 hours and it's suddenly gone straight back to the same issue. Slow speeds and intermittent connection.

The router sits where it always has since August (and where my previous router with Be sat for 3 years), there are no new devices around it which I can think of that could be causing an interference.

Disabling security seems to make the connection faster. Download speeds go from 0.8MB to over 4. Web pages loading much quicker etc. But obviously this is neither a permanent or safe fix. Anyone know what that could point to?

OpenReach engineer came out (have no idea why as this seems to be a wireless issue). No faults found on the line.

I'm at a point where I'm just thinking of buying a better router.

Latest speed test wirelessly: 0.5MB, via ethernet 5MB

Anybody willing to advise what else I could try here?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Nov-13 12:52:22
Print Post

Re: Wireless Problems with Sky Hub - Tried Everything - Help

[re: jay1986] [link to this post]

If you still have the old Be router reconfigure it as a wireless access point.

Did Inssider report other networks in the area, it is not always possible to escape the problems caused by a busy network, particularly if others have switched on faster 2.4GHz 40 MHz wide bands.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jay1986
(newbie) Sat 16-Nov-13 12:55:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Should have said - I don't have the Be Router anymore unfortunately as they wanted it back. inSSIDer picks up 3 other networks (all Sky ones). The strange thing is I'm connected now with Security off, and it's working fine!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Nov-13 13:59:34
Print Post

What wireless devices? It may be that if their drivers are old, that they don't cope well with 802.11n (believe old Be router was just G). You could try forcing the router back into 802.11g mode and turn the encryption back on.

Or failing that at least using a basic level of WEP which is still miles better than an open network

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jay1986
(newbie) Sat 16-Nov-13 14:20:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's across all wireless devices that connect to the router (Windows PC, Laptop, iMac, PS3, and iPhones).

I will give WEP a go whilst looking for a resolution.

Do you think purchasing a better router such as the Billion 7800N would help?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Nov-13 14:23:11
Print Post

It might help, but am successfully using that combination of devices on a Sky Hub here

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Nov-13 14:57:37
Print Post

OpenReach engineer came out (have no idea why as this seems to be a wireless issue). No faults found on the line.
I'm really not sure as it's occurring on 2 routers. I know the Sky Hub WiFi isn't bad as it's covering my house which is 3 floors and 6 bedrooms without an issue.

Ok here's my chain of thought. There's a small chance it's a line fault (very small) given what you've said. Can you post up line stats please after having the router on for 24 hours+ I want everything on the stats page, so WLAN, LAN, system uptime, attenuation, noise margin, Just copy the entire thing.

Now to the router. Go to 192.168.0.1 Username admin, password sky
Click wireless at the top
Region Europe
Channel 1, 6 or 11. If you are currently on 2, choose 11 (basically choose whichever is the furthest away from what you're currently using now).
Mode: Auto - this is important
Enable wireless access point ticked
Enable WPS ticked
Allow broadcast of network name SSID ticked
Under security options make sure WPA2-PSK(AES) is selected - important.
WEP, WPA-PSK and WPA/WPA2 mixed mode will all give sub-standard speeds (as it means your network wont operate at full N capabilities)

Do you have any games consoles / sky boxes / TVs using anything like this
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ethernet+usb+adapt...

Are all devices on the network wireless N supported or is it mixed?

In particular are any wireless B devices? On my network connecting a wireless B device causes the wireless network to slow to 1Mbps max, usually lower.

This device here http://www.harmonyfta.com/Vonets-wirelss-wifi-adapte... aways ends up using wireless B and somehow slowed my network down to sub 0.5Mbps

I think you will find that 1 particular device is the cause of your issues.

Turn all WiFi devices off, turn them back on 1 by 1, with a 10 minute wait between each, running a speedtest each time, I say this 10 minutes because my WiFi ethernet adapter starts on wireless N, then 5 minutes in drops to G, then around 10 minutes of being on it suddenly drops to B and suddenly bam the networks ruined.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 16-Nov-13 15:01:42)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Nov-13 15:00:26
Print Post

Also if you log in to My sky at www.sky.com/mysky
Hover over MySky
Under my package click Broadband usage and speed

It will then give you a connection speed set at Skys end. What is this? If it's extremely low then this is the cause of your issues (and I can go into more detail about this if it's the case)
Standard User jay1986
(newbie) Sat 16-Nov-13 15:28:31
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply ukhardy07

I will post up the line stats tomorrow as the Engineer reset the router this morning.

The settings for the router are as you've listed above.

I'm not 100% sure how to check if all of the devices support Wireless N. The devices consist of a Vaio PC & Laptop, iMac, PS3, 3 iPhones, HTC smartphone. If you can give me an indication on how to check whether they are Wireless N compatible, I can do this.

The only Wireless adapter I can think of is one plugged into the Sky+ HD Box. They just sent out recently (I actually only plugged it in the other day so the issue has been ongoing prior to that).

I have just changed the network password to a brand new one so as to remove all the devices. So I can add them back on one by one as you have mentioned. Strangely there seems to be a device that says it is still connected on the Summary Status Page but it's "Unknown" and connected wirelessly.

Any thoughts on why it seems to work fine with Security disabled also?

I appreciate your help
Standard User jay1986
(newbie) Sat 16-Nov-13 15:33:13
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Also logging into My Sky. It gives me a speed estimate:

You have Sky Broadband Unlimited.

When you purchased Sky Broadband, we estimated that the maximum download speed for your line was 2.6Mbps - 7.0Mbps.

And under Connection details states:

Testing on your broadband connection began on 14/11/2013 and will be completed within 10 days.

You may notice some variations in your broadband speed and this is normal. We are aiming to give you the best quality experience. Please leave your router on during this time.

I understand Sky were taking me through DLM to see if it could improve the issue (which it hasn't and also the issue has been ongoing for 2 weeks)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to