General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ronnie1990
(newbie) Sun 17-Nov-13 15:17:49
Print Post

Can you do a self install rather than wait for BT Openreach

[link to this post]

I was meant to have fibre installed, and my ISP say my fibre line has been enabled, but the appointment for openreach os over three weeks.

Does anyone know if I were to install a BT open reach modem and fit a new open reach master socket, the DSL connection would work?

Thank-You
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Nov-13 15:27:48
Print Post

Re: Can you do a self install rather than wait for BT Openre

[re: Ronnie1990] [link to this post]

It seems very unlikely that Openreach have carried out the work at the cabinet but failed to visit you to finish off the install.

Is the ISP convinced that Openreach have carried out the cabinet work, or are they actually saying they've placed the order for the installation but can do no more until an appointment is available?

If the cabinet work has been done, you just need to connect suitable VDSL2 equipment via a suitable filter.

Standard User Ronnie1990
(newbie) Sun 17-Nov-13 15:36:44
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Openreach did come and have a look at my telephone socket, I would think he would have come up after doing the cabinet work, but he said there was a fault with the line.

I rang the ISP after, and they said, open reach said the fault had been resolved, and all they needed to do was to finish off the install by install the open reach router.

I borrowed an open reach router from next door, and connecting it through an ADSL micro filter, tried to see if it would work, but the DSL light was off on the router.

I am thinking either the fibre has not been enabled, or I need a compatible telephone socket, as I was told some ADSL routers won't work with fibre.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Nov-13 15:49:53
Print Post

Many filters specified for ADSL are sub-optimal for the wider frequency range used by the VDSL2 system used for FTTC, but the connection for the DSL equipment is a straight through connection anyway. Carry out any tests with no phone connected.

If the equipment you borrowed was ADSL equipment, it won't work.

If the equipment you borrowed was VDSL2 equipment, such as a modem supplied by Openreach, it should have worked if the wiring was in place and the line card port enabled. It could be the line card port has been disabled until a new engineer visit is available.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 17-Nov-13 15:49:57
Print Post

Openreach modem into the test socket with a micro filter should still show sync if the VDSL is enabled on the line.

One assumes you are still not using the ADSL connection on the same line?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ronnie1990
(newbie) Sun 17-Nov-13 16:18:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It was an open reach fibre modem.

The ADSL connection was cut off when I moved ISP, but the new fibre connection was not enabled in its place.

It would seem it is switched off as you say. I guess I would have to wait until open reach come back.

Thanks for everyone's help.
  Print Thread

Jump to