General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User purpleronnie
(newbie) Sun 17-Nov-13 15:31:08
Print Post

Two broadband providers in same house?

[link to this post]

I run a business from home and are dependant on a quick connection at certain times of the day.

I used a modem, its not a wireless connection. Its supplied by EE (orange) and is a speedtouch modem.

Someone I share the house with would like to have thier own connection.

If they did could this interfere with my connection?

thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Nov-13 15:36:21
Print Post

Re: Two broadband providers in same house?

[re: purpleronnie] [link to this post]

I assume you mean with a second line? (Which would normally be a different pair in the same physical cable from the distribution point to the house).

No problem at all. Plenty of people have multiple lines to their house.

The second connection cannot be on the same line.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Nov-13 15:42:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by purpleronnie:
is a speedtouch modem.
Which Speedtouch modem? Is it this one: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#44 ? That's only one I remember Orange supplying. If so, it cannot cope with the faster BB speeds.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sun 17-Nov-13 17:02:14
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

yes it's a speedtouch 330. I'm just concerned it might slow my browsing speed.
(newbie) Sun 17-Nov-13 17:04:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So if they went for BT broadband (as we rent a BT line), his connection wouldn't affect my connection in any way?
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Nov-13 17:19:19
Print Post

It will certainly affect your existing service if they order it on your existing line. As has been said, you / they need to have a second line installed to use with a separate broadband service.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Nov-13 17:28:31
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

To be fair to the OP, having to have a second phone line (installation + line rental) wasn't made all that clear if they are someone trying to understand how things work smile

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Nov-13 17:52:30
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

????
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I assume you mean with a second line?
The second connection cannot be on the same line.
Is that unclear?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Sun 17-Nov-13 17:57:15
Print Post

Unfortunately, it could affect your connections, at least temporarily around the installation phase; and possibly longer term through cross-talk.

Keep in mind that for the vast majority of phone connections in the UK, the actual physical cable, cabinets etc from the exchange to the house, are owned and maintained by "Openreach BT".

So for the majority, no matter the BB Provider (ISP), a Line Rental is paid in some manner to Openreach BT - and any line faults etc are dealt with by OR or its own sub-contractors - NOT your ISP, who has to report such problems to Upenareach or possibly BT Wholesale.

The cable from the PCP (typically grey or green distribution cabinet) has a cable running to your house, either overhead (poles etc) or underground (chambers about every 200 yards normally in the footpath), ending in your house at nrmally a Network Terminating Unit - ie the white outlet of the same size as a single electrical outlet.

The cable normally has four conductors/wires, of which two will be in present use for "your phone line/connection".

The other two are effectively stand-by and not connected at either end, in case a problem occurs with the working pair, either as a pair or as single wires.

There would be total loss to both users if that cable was broken by say, a tree falling over it (overhead) or an excavator breaking through it (underground), just as there is such risks with only one user at present.

--------------------------------

So the simplest, quickest and CHEAPEST way to get a second BB connection technically is to make use of that second pair of wires - involving Openreach making the necessary connections at each end including back to the exchange via the PCP cabinet, additional NTE etc

You would automatically lose the stand-by aspect by not having that pair available.

It would also imply greater chances of cross-talk because of the intimate close proximity of another BB signal along the same length of cable.

The other additional ISP need NOT be BT or any of its subsidiaries - although that may lead to further complications!

================================

Another way would be that the new BB ISP arranges that Openreach provide a separate cable - but that I understand is expensive.

================================

Another possibility but also with more cost implications would be some form of satellite or line-of-sight radio arrangement.

As to whether any of those varieties are available in your area ...?
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Nov-13 17:59:17
Print Post

The easiest option would be to upgrade your existing router to a wireless one, that might improve your speeds anyhow, since the one you are using is out of the ark. Can you post some line stats using the link Xray posted ?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to