General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 18-Nov-13 10:13:00
Print Post

Connecting the router to the Test Socket

[link to this post]

Good Morning,

Just a quick question.... my ISP has asked me to connect my Router to the test socket..

I have no issues with doing that, but knowing they will want to do some test I just wanted to check something out...

I have 2 extensions hardwired from the Master Socket.. am I right in thinking that while the test socket is in use that those extensions will be out of use? IE they will have no dial tone and anything connected to them will not dial out or if it's a phone recieve calls?

May sound daft but I wanted to be 100% sure....

CJT.

On Talk Talk Essentials
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Nov-13 10:25:41
Print Post

Re: Connecting the router to the Test Socket

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

Correct, if the sockets are wired correctly then the extensions will be dead while the test socket is used for testing.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 18-Nov-13 10:28:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew... you are as ever a wealth of VERY useful information...

Oh and a very speedy reply..

One other quick question... is now an OK time to disconnect the router and reconnect it to the test socket? (IE is it Off Peak)

CJT.

On Talk Talk Essentials

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Nov-13 11:00:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by CJT:
Thanks Andrew... you are as ever a wealth of VERY useful information...

Oh and a very speedy reply..

One other quick question... is now an OK time to disconnect the router and reconnect it to the test socket? (IE is it Off Peak)

I wouldn't have thought that the discussion of Peak or Off-Peak is particularly relevant, in a fault-finding situation, but it would depend on your own ISP's T&Cs.

Incidentally, just to clarify, the requirement to use the Test Socket is to ensure that ALL internal wiring (e.g. extensions) are disconnected &, hence, cannot be contributing to the problem that you are checking.

Ultimately this is a valuable safe-guard as, if your ISP has to send out a Line-Engineer, then your internal wiring cannot be blamed!!

Regards,
John
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 18-Nov-13 11:12:41
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

Hi John,

Apologies I think I had a chat with the ISP about the speed on the line, which is why they want me to connect the test socket.. and they mentioned rebooting the router in "off peak" hours... perhaps that is where I was getting confused...

I will do this later on and see how it performs..

CJT.

On Talk Talk Essentials
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Nov-13 12:27:59
Print Post

(IE is it Off Peak)
It's not off-peak that's relevant but when rebooting the router it is best to do it during daylight to get the best speeds and lowest noise.

On your Q about the extensions not working when using the test socket, when you remove the faceplate you should find the extensions wired to the back of it. Hence they won't work. If you found nothing on the back of the faceplate then the extensions will be wired incorrectly into the box itself and they will continue to work.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Mon 18-Nov-13 13:48:55
Print Post

Ideally you should test both a normal connection, and connecting via the test socket. This will help you find any problems with your home phone network and phones.

Michael Chare
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 18-Nov-13 16:43:53
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
(IE is it Off Peak)
It's not off-peak that's relevant but when rebooting the router it is best to do it during daylight to get the best speeds and lowest noise.

On your Q about the extensions not working when using the test socket, when you remove the faceplate you should find the extensions wired to the back of it. Hence they won't work. If you found nothing on the back of the faceplate then the extensions will be wired incorrectly into the box itself and they will continue to work.

Thanks XRaySpeX

My intention is to now do it tomorrow morning, after 10am... and I have informed the ISP of this.... I will check the extensions once the Faceplate is off...

CJT.

On Talk Talk Essentials
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 18-Nov-13 16:45:30
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I have speed tested.. but the ISP (TT) have suggested connecting to the Test Socket so they can perform some tests..

So I wanted to be sure if I do it, when it's best to start, and when it best to reconnect the router (once they say they have performed the tests) so I can attempt to maintain a good fast speed

CJT.

On Talk Talk Essentials
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Nov-13 16:53:44
Print Post

Speed test is useful but router stats are best indicator of any line issues

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to