General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MilkMaid
(newbie) Mon 18-Nov-13 16:03:46
Print Post

BT line, rules?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I joined to get a bit of advice on a question I couldn't really find the answer to.

I have bought a house I am renovating, and I want to know whether I can run a cat5 cable instead of telephone wire from my master point (living room) to a weatherproof box outside. This would allow the BT engineer to just run his cable from the green box to my weatherproof box and join.

I didn't find any BT line of any sort at the house when stripping it out which was weird.

Is this allowed? Legally?

Or does the engineer have to run the cable himself to the master socket?

This would save me a lot of hassle, ie not having cable clipped to the wall, or having to re plaster.

Thanks a million
Scott
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Nov-13 16:09:39
Print Post

Re: BT line, rules?

[re: MilkMaid] [link to this post]

Have you got a working telephone line? If not, are there telephone poles around, or are the other houses fed underground?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MilkMaid
(newbie) Mon 18-Nov-13 16:16:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No I have not got a working line.

There is a box with metal trunking on the wall next to my house which looks as though they house BT lines as splinter off to the houses either side of me.

Just want to know if it's legal for me to run this cable from my new master socket, and if the BT engineer will connect his cable to my cat5 cable?

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Mon 18-Nov-13 16:21:48
Print Post

You cannot rely on OpenReach to use a cable which you have provided.

Why not run ducting from outside to where you want it inside with a pull cord inside it.

An OpenReach installer should be more than happy to use it.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Nov-13 16:30:41
Print Post

Sorry to be a pain, but are you saying there wasn't a master socket there before - you have installed one? Is/was there an existing master socket?

The reason I'm asking is that "legally" everything from the hidden A/B connectors of an NTE5 is Openreach property and responsibility. Including that part of the NTE5. Only the faceplate, (NTE5A), is the occupier's.

There is a huge document Openreach have for builders/new-builds doing the wiring. I can't off the top of my head remember what that has to say about the issue. I have to go now but will try to find a link to it when I get back.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Nov-13 17:52:53
Print Post

Yeah, go for it, the installer will love you for doing some of their job for them. smile

Print Thread

Jump to