General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User blinkbonny
(learned) Wed 20-Nov-13 12:57:50
Print Post

Thinking of moving up to Fibre

[link to this post]

My existing deal with a Broadband provider is coming to an end early 2014 and Ive been thinking about making the move up to fibre, especially, as well as having a PC, Laptop and smart TV in the house the extra speed of Fibre looks appealing.

A couple of question though to help me along

1) My PC is currently set up in the smallest bedroom along with router connected to a wall socket and to the PC via an ethernet cable. The main entry for the BT cable into the home is in lounge. If I took up Fibre could the new router remain in its current location.

2) Some Fibre providers offer smart hubs which I take it have to be plugged directly into the main cable entry point in my case the Lounge. Handy for a smart TV but how would my my Bedroom postioned PC connect to fibre

Regards
Bob
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Nov-13 13:10:48
Print Post

Re: Thinking of moving up to Fibre

[re: blinkbonny] [link to this post]

Current situation is you get two boxes but by early 2014 it may be just one.

Optimal solution is modem/router at the main BT socket (lounge) and then an Ethernet cable up to the PC.

Next best - convert socket in lounge but run a data extension up to 30m in the house to the bedroom. This is booked when ordering the service.

In 2014, the same filter set-up as what you have now becomes an option, but this can impact on the speed/reliability of the fibre connection.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User blinkbonny
(learned) Wed 20-Nov-13 14:47:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Current situation is you get two boxes but by early 2014 it may be just one.

Optimal solution is modem/router at the main BT socket (lounge) and then an Ethernet cable up to the PC.

Next best - convert socket in lounge but run a data extension up to 30m in the house to the bedroom. This is booked when ordering the service.

In 2014, the same filter set-up as what you have now becomes an option, but this can impact on the speed/reliability of the fibre connection.

Thanks for that, much appreciated

Option 1 & 2 appear impractical as it would mean drilling through two walls and across hallway even worse going up the walls and across the loft

About the 2014 filter set up you mention. Does this mean the current wiring to the Bedroom would be used with a new type of filter ??? Your mention of reduced speed what are we talking about on say 36mbps Fibre broadband deal. 30, 25, 15mbps or lower

I see Sky offer a wireless USB adapter with their latest 40mbps Hub package which looks the easiest option. But I wonder what the likely speed would be at a PC 3-5m away --- any suggestions

Regards
Bob

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Nov-13 16:05:48
Print Post

On the drop off for FTTC speeds, all depends on the state of the wiring, but with a 36 Meg estimate until you try you will not know, so its a case of try at the test socket and at your preferred location and then figure out if the lose of speed outweighs some improved wiring or other set-up.

Wireless dongle is one way to go, though don't recommend USB based devices, driver issues and general speed of USB. Wireless Ethernet bridges are better if wanting to link to a desktop PC.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Wed 20-Nov-13 19:45:13
Print Post

blinkbonny

There is another choice, invest in a set of homeplugs.

I have just done this for the 2nd floor office in a townhouse, the speed test on here gives 53Mb over them (connected via ethernet), same as a Laptop using Ethernet straight to a Homehub.

I brought the latest BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit as I wanted to connect a printer in the same place using the Wifi. But the basic BB extender without the wifi gives the same functionality.

I was very impressed.
Standard User blinkbonny
(learned) Thu 21-Nov-13 20:20:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks again for the replies certainly very helpfull. Plenty to think about
Regards
Bob
  Print Thread

Jump to