General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ryouga
(committed) Fri 22-Nov-13 01:03:08
Print Post

Cant get fibre as for some reason on a exchange only line

[link to this post]

I guess I am out of luck

Been checking for ages and I know I am on a EO line for some reason despite being 1 mile from exchange it seems to be the small block of flats which is the only block of flats on the street is EO whilst every house is fibre.

Another strange thing is why does the predicted speeds INCREASE the further away from the cabinet according to the bt checker? I tried all neighbours addresses.

Is there a reason why the few flats are EO? I am just fed up with 3 meg speeds even with good line stats as do a lot of gaming and have large updates of a few gig each time can take hours each and kills all other internet aceess.

Edited by ryouga (Fri 22-Nov-13 01:03:41)

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Nov-13 01:50:02
Print Post

Re: Cant get fibre as for some reason on a exchange only lin

[re: ryouga] [link to this post]

Is there a reason why the few flats are EO?
Quite possibly there were no free lines/connections in the local PCP when the property was built.

Many Exchange Only lines are quite long, they don't have to be close to the exchange, and are often associated with new builds and in-fills in already developed areas. For example I live on a development built 1989/90 on a brownfield site in central London and all 75 properties have 2Km EO lines and no cable. I am aware of two other similar clusters in my postal district (SW9).
Standard User ryouga
(committed) Fri 22-Nov-13 02:39:44
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Hmmm well this build is 60's or 70's at very latest, its a ex council flat and its a council area so most buildings must be of around the same age

However there is a bunch of new builds 2 minutes walk away and they cant seem to get fibre either so it may be right, though a little strange how the council flats cant get fibre but the council houses can.

I guess I have no way of getting fibre easily.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Nov-13 09:27:56
Print Post

Decisions made years ago and probably easier to run a direct cable bundle than build another PCP which would have been under utilised for many years.

If the property is a mile by road and only getting 3 Meg speeds then something is not right. 1 mile should be getting well above 8 Meg.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ryouga
(committed) Fri 22-Nov-13 15:24:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Its 1.17km so maybe even less than a mile, it should be syncing at 5.5 meg but had different isps over the last year and each gets 3-4 meg despite line stats being good.

I live near town centre and not sure if the cable is longer than that, this is just distance to exchange.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Nov-13 15:42:12
Print Post

What are the router stats?

The calculator at http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc will take the figures and estimate what you should be running at ideally.

To only get 4 Mbps implies a line length of around 4km.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to