General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Dec-13 08:40:11
Print Post

New house, new line

[link to this post]

Hi all,

My brother has just bought a new build house (so new they haven't quite finished it yet). The builders appear to have installed a number of phone sockets in the house but none of them are BT master sockets (all single faceplates that are clearly not NTE5s).

What do BT install these days for a new line? Does the NTE5 equivalent still go on the outside wall and then just feed straight into the sockets? Would they fit an NTE5 (so that I can make use of a proper ADSL faceplate)? Or do they just wire straight into the back of the builder provided phone points?

It will be a few weeks before they are in but I want an idea of what to expect as it will be down to me to get everything up and running.

Thanks.
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Dec-13 09:18:15
Print Post

Re: New house, new line

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

My son has just moved into a new-build flat, hence my answer solely relates to that!

His Flat has been equipped with a BT Master Socket, plus a number of secondary sockets. The Hand-over Information Pack emphasised that the Master Socket (& the incoming wiring) wre BT's ownership & that the secondary sockets/wiring were his responsibility.

On that basis, I would have thought that your BRother could have expected something similar!

The worrying possibility is that the Builder hasn't contacted BT & that part is still to happen!

Regards,
John
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Dec-13 09:20:40
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

Thanks John. I didn't notice a master socket but it may be it was somewhere that wasn't obvious. Other people on the estate are already live so presumably they have managed to get phone lines...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Dec-13 10:38:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
I didn't notice a master socket but it may be it was somewhere that wasn't obvious.

Yes, in my son's Flat it was located in the corner of his Bedroom, rather than anywhere obvious!

Regards,
John
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Wed 04-Dec-13 11:54:03
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

Can you suggest any reason why the builder chose the bedroom for the Master Socket?

For example, it happens to be nearest the point where the outside line reaches the flat?
or
It is convenient to a riser in, say, a stair-well, carrying thelines to each flat, from a common distribution panel within the building?

etc.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-Dec-13 13:39:34
Print Post

IIRC, from an OR engineer post here the external NTE5s were ditched quite quickly for new installations. There has to be an NTE5 plus 5A somewhere, or at least a place where the extension wire(s) arrive where it will be placed.

Cross your fingers, and his, as to what cable has been used for the internal wiring!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 04-Dec-13 13:42:09)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Dec-13 15:24:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I may well end up disconnecting most of the internal wiring (if it has been sensibly done) as he will just need connection in living room and bedroom (Sky Multiroom).

But, I will have to hunt down the location of the NTE5 now that I know they have definitely gone back to that for new installs.

Can't wait to start all the fun of getting everything setup for them.

Cheers all.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-Dec-13 15:26:18
Print Post

I'm not sure how the NTE5 connection or even installation goes. It may even be just the wall box with a pull-cable to outside waiting for the engineer to install the phone cable and hardware. With a wire or wires for the extensions coiled in it at the moment.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 04-Dec-13 15:27:02)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Dec-13 15:30:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There already seemed to be sockets in the usual suspect rooms but none of them were an NTE5. Obvious place for the socket would be the living room and that definitely wasn't an NTE5 - I am hoping they don't put it somewhere silly.

There broadband is not going to be particularly good as it is as they are on an FTTC enabled exchange but because it is new build BT have not done the cab (have sent a query to NGA Enquiries to see if that will change) - estimate is 3Mb for their connection which is less than what they currently get in the middle of nowhere.

Last thing I want is for poor master socket location and crummy internal wiring to cause even slower ADSL. But, until they get in there isn't that much I can do (unless they happen to be going over for another measure up in which case I will case the joint more carefully for socket locations).
Standard User brandscill
(member) Wed 04-Dec-13 15:34:36
Print Post

Surprised if it was a new cab install for the new builds it wasn't installed fibre ready.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to