General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Newbee007
(newbie) Wed 04-Dec-13 11:27:21
Print Post

Broadband speed fluctuates rapidly !!!!!

[link to this post]

Not sure where to post this query as a newcomer - novice
Moved into current home a year ago and got telephone and BB connected . Connection speeds varied greatly from 0-9 mb. Modem usually kept in extension socket in lounge. Few moths later got another phone line who has been connected ted separately in another room for business. (this room has an extension socket close to the new line installed)Both give me unlimited broadband . Recently I disconnect ted the main home line as rarely use LAN line hence master socket out of use and so is extension in lounge. The business line in separate room is not wired internal / connected to any of these extensions.
What's the best way to get connection from existing business to extension in lounge as I need it for sky and smart tv. Tried connecting it by using extension wire with microfilter from working line to extension in same room and tried using modem in lounge via that extension...speed is 0-4 with variability from minute to minute.
Called enginner who says best to get rewired.using better cable. Called electrician and asked him can he install new cat5 wiring ..he said not possible as expensive and new house - wouldn't look good...

I'm currently using modem in business room day time directly and then using wired extension and moving modem to lounge evening to watch TV

Help please
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 04-Dec-13 12:36:18
Print Post

Re: Broadband speed fluctuates rapidly !!!!!

[re: Newbee007] [link to this post]

Leave teh modem where it is.

Then run a Cat5e cable yourself - you choose the route where you can hide the cable or it is not obtrusive. It is possible to get solid conductor Cat5E in grey, white, red, blue, black, yellow green and maybe more colours. Then fit a standard backbox with RJ45 socket at each end. Add two patch leads - one at each end to connect router to new cable and new cable to a small 4 port switch then patch leads to TV and personal PC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Newbee007
(newbie) Wed 04-Dec-13 14:27:04
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks a lot . Next big stumbling lock is there is no practically acceptable way to do internal wiring . Can I do CAT 5 externally which may be less troublesome without damaging interiors since I only need it for one room ( for lounge -now anyway )
Is it DIY able ,..?.?.
Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 04-Dec-13 14:46:20
Print Post

[re: Newbee007] [link to this post]

Yes, you can do it externally but you need external grade cable - normal will yellow and degrade quickly.

If you can use a drill, small hammer, screw driver and able to push then it is easy.

You can get teh cable from FS Cables - excellent service

http://www.fscables.com/Data/Structured+Wiring+Cable...

C5EC has basic weatherproofing or the C5ED has extra external protection. Either should be fine.

It will take you less time than finding a tradesman, getting a quote and waiting for him to do it. Including installing boxes, running cable, terminating and basic testing would take me under an hour (assuming you have a typical 2 storey house).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to