General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User antihippy
(newbie) Wed 04-Dec-13 14:08:26
Print Post

New (OLD) Flat, No BT line.. and yet...

[link to this post]

Hi Folks,

I have a couple of questions. I have just moved into a new flat. I live in Edinburgh so that means that the flat is pretty old - over 100 years but not listed. It's taken me a couple of days but I've found a BT line which appears to be dead. There's cable points installed in various locations.

I've been looking around and it seems that cable are still awful to deal with and as such I am going to sign up to ADSL again. However...

1. There's clearly a BT line in the flat but it's dead. BT tell me I need to get a new line installed - is that really the case?
2. I'm thinking of going back to Plusnet as I've had a good experience with them. I know they're a BT subsidiary. BT tells me they will put the line "back in" for free (normally £130) if I go with them however Plusnet tells me that it it will cost me £50. What gives?
3. How can I tell if fibre is available if there's no phone line for me to check against?
4. Is cable still really THAT bad? Everyone I've spoken to shudders when I mention Virgin Media. I'm not interested in telly (and given I've spent the last 5 years getting all of my entertainment directly from the web I don't see why anyone else would either!).
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Wed 04-Dec-13 14:19:28
Print Post

Re: New (OLD) Flat, No BT line.. and yet...

[re: antihippy] [link to this post]

1) that's right, the existing socket is dead so there is no connection back to the exchange so you need a new line connection.
2) plusnet operate independently of BT Retail, so have their own pricing structure.
3) there is an address checker Here, don't use the post code only checker.
4) some swear by it, some swear at it. Many seem to agree their customer service is not very good.

Edited by Ribble (Wed 04-Dec-13 14:20:28)

Standard User antihippy
(newbie) Wed 04-Dec-13 14:27:43
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

1. Great. I hate having Openreach near anything ... So long as they don't try and put in extra cabling I'll just grit my teeth and go with it.
3. I don't have a telephone number how can I check anything other than post code?
-- I did actually use my post code earlier and I've actually looked at the exchange I'll probably be signed up to (Leith) which apparently does have fibre "to some areas".
-- From what you say it looks like I'd have to get the line put in and then change at a later date which is actually anything but ideal because it's extra cost.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 04-Dec-13 14:51:03
Print Post

Whether you have BT, PlusNet or one of the others it will still be BT OR that does the install.

They will not install any additional cable but may improve what is already there. You might also get the chance to have the master moved - if you want to. They will install a new socket which can easily be replaced with a filtered one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-Dec-13 15:20:16
Print Post

3. I don't have a telephone number how can I check anything other than post code?
By using the address checker as suggested in the post to which you replied. Address checker does not equal Postcode checker.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-Dec-13 15:23:51
Print Post

Nothing wrong with the Openreach engineers smile. Nearly all try to do their best for customers.. It's the management and any sub-contractors like Kelly's or Quinn's that are the trouble.

Re (3), as was said, the address checker smile. For instance that shows FTTC if available, the postcode one currently doesn't. See my post yesterday.

BT Retail and Plusnet can do simultaneous provides, where the line and broadband go in together. Best to speak to them though else the line does go in first then a wait for the broadband. Plusnet certainly don't automatically

Unless the line is urgent, as a simultaneous provide often ends up at a later date than line only.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User antihippy
(newbie) Thu 05-Dec-13 15:38:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cheers Robert

According to them, they will wave the installation fee if I treat this as a moving house thing but will force me to pay full price on line rental and broadband charge. I've just sat and worked this out (assuming unlimited):

New member unlimited (inc 49.99 installation) £247.87
Existing move member (less installation) £317.88!

I am a bit shocked at the price difference. They're currently offering monthly unlimited at £1.99!

Earliest date as new member - 27th Dec.
Earliest date as a moved member - noncommital.

I've done some checking and Fibre currently isn't available.
Standard User KelvinBridge
(newbie) Thu 05-Dec-13 19:36:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by antihippy:
Cheers Robert

According to them, they will wave the installation fee if I treat this as a moving house thing but will force me to pay full price on line rental and broadband charge. I've just sat and worked this out (assuming unlimited):

New member unlimited (inc 49.99 installation) £247.87
Existing move member (less installation) £317.88!

I am a bit shocked at the price difference. They're currently offering monthly unlimited at £1.99!

Earliest date as new member - 27th Dec.
Earliest date as a moved member - noncommital.

I've done some checking and Fibre currently isn't available.

Is it really a ''Flat'' or ''multi occupancy conversion'' of a older property previously used for other purposes .

Is it a 'Trendy area'' of EdinBrog or just an old whisky Bond in Leith ?
  Print Thread

Jump to