General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DM3554
(newbie) Wed 04-Dec-13 17:56:22
Print Post

Fibre interconnect between 2 (same-dialling-code) exchanges

[link to this post]

Hi. First post ... I hope some technically savvy Forum members can answer my query.

Our village telephone line is connected to a small BT exchange (c.1,200 domestic dwellings) that delivers up to 8Mb/s download speeds.

We are surrounded on all sides by larger BT exchanges that currently offer up to 20Mb/s download speeds, two of which share the same dialling code as our exchange. I estimate that our exchange is about 6.5 km from the nearest of these 'same-dialling-code' BT exchanges.

(A) Is it technically feasible to make a Fibre connection between our small exchange and an adjacent larger exchange to enable subscribers on our small exchange to benefit from up to 20 Mb/s download speeds?

(B) If it is technically feasible, does anyone know the approximate cost (say, per Km) of installing that Fibre connection?

Thanks, in anticipation. Richard.

Edited by DM3554 (Wed 04-Dec-13 17:57:25)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-Dec-13 19:04:23
Print Post

Re: Fibre interconnect between 2 (same-dialling-code) exchan

[re: DM3554] [link to this post]

The 20Mbps, (technically ADSL2+ up to 24Mbps but they can no longer advertise such speeds), speeds are distance-related, just like the 8Mbps ones are probably much slower than 8Mbps at some properties in your village. At a distance that gives somewhere between 5 and 6Mbps the 20Mbps ceases to be much faster, and at slower speeds than that is no better at all.

It can in fact be less use, as it an be less stable. On these forums there are many that are on an "up to 20Mbps" circuit but force it down using their router to get better overall performance. This graph will give you some idea. In the real world, as opposed to laboratory testing, that high end bit where ADSL2+ gains a bit again doesn't happen.

To get the ADSL2+ supply in your exchange requires the installation of the actual DSLAM or MSAN hardware there to replace the 8Mbps kit. AIUI, that may be happening before too long (in BT time!). LLU suppliers such as Sky and TalkTalk may or may not bother.

Your exchange will already be connected by fibre, but the capacity could be low.

It is possible for places like yours to get FTTC without ADSL2+, with the fibre being supplied from one of the larger exchanges. Openreach are doing that in quite a few areas.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 04-Dec-13 19:06:11)

Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Wed 04-Dec-13 19:30:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

much more simply:

your exchange has 8mbit equipment, that could be upgraded. (by bt and competitors)

additionally, if installing fibre to the cabinet, this could go to a different host exchange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-Dec-13 19:37:07
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

tongue
A somewhat incomplete and thereby inaccurate precis, which without my post would leave the OP with no answers to their questions wink.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Dec-13 20:19:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It is possible for places like yours to get FTTC without ADSL2+, with the fibre being supplied from one of the larger exchanges. Openreach are doing that in quite a few areas.
Seems it happens to all sorts of exchanges. Apparently Brackley (pop. 14,000) is served its FTTC from Banbury exchange even though Brackley is itself a Market 2 exchange.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Dec-13 00:01:46
Print Post

More simple answers to your Qs:

(A) No, the 'up to 20 (really 24) Meg' kit needs installing at your local exchange where your landline ends. The 'up to 20 (really 24) Meg' speed is between you and your exchange, not between 2 exchanges.

{B} N/a.

However it is perfectly possible for FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) to be installed at the green cabinet near you to which your landline 1st goes, and to be fed by one of the larger BT exchanges around you. From FTTC you could get 'up to 80 Meg'.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker say about your phone no?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User DM3554
(newbie) Thu 05-Dec-13 15:14:05
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
More simple answers to your Qs:

{B} N/a.

However it is perfectly possible for FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) to be installed at the green cabinet near you to which your landline 1st goes, and to be fed by one of the larger BT exchanges around you. From FTTC you could get 'up to 80 Meg'.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker say about your phone no?

Thanks ... it says only ADSL Max available. And "SamKnows" advises under BT Wholesale list 'Not available' against SDSL, 21CN, and FTTC, together with 'There is currently no 21CN migration date for your PSTN service'.

Both adjacent exchanges have 21CN Enabled and dates for FTTC (31/12/2013 and 31/05/2014). Hence my frustration .... living in a pocket of 'slowband' with no prospect of faster speeds.

However you say " ... it is perfectly possible for FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) to be installed at the green cabinet near you to which your landline 1st goes, and to be fed by one of the larger BT exchanges around you."

This is very interesting. Which organisation(s) would be responsible for installing this (i.e. who should I contact?)

Many thanks. Regards, Richard.
Standard User DM3554
(newbie) Thu 05-Dec-13 15:28:46
Print Post

Thanks, RobertoS.

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
To get the ADSL2+ supply in your exchange requires the installation of the actual DSLAM or MSAN hardware there to replace the 8Mbps kit. AIUI, that may be happening before too long (in BT time!). LLU suppliers such as Sky and TalkTalk may or may not bother.
Yes .... No LLU providers at my exchange (only c. 1,000 residential properties, so presumably commercially unattractive.)

You also say " ..It is possible for places like yours to get FTTC without ADSL2+, with the fibre being supplied from one of the larger exchanges. Openreach are doing that in quite a few areas."
Do you know who pays for this, approx £cost (if it's me!), and who I should contact to explore the feasibility?

Many thanks, and Regards, Richard.

Edited by DM3554 (Thu 05-Dec-13 15:31:13)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Dec-13 15:37:45
Print Post

Openreach do the commercial FTTC roll-out, but that ends in Spring 2014 and as you suggest you are rural then it will be a County Council based BDUK project, or you might be in the 10% where nothing improves, this shrinks to 5% by 2017 and to 2% in another year.

Time to name your county and people can point you to the project pages.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Dec-13 15:40:00
Print Post

BT Openreach.
In reply to a post by DM3554:
Both adjacent exchanges have dates for FTTC (31/12/2013 and 31/05/2014).
but the dates could easily go back. Just keep your eyes on them and hope they extend one of them to serve your cab.

You don't pay for it being enabled; they either do it or they don't. You won't have any influence on it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to