General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User charliedarwin
(newbie) Fri 06-Dec-13 02:10:46
Print Post

Speed variation, between computers

[link to this post]

Sky DSL broadband via new Sky modem/router; download speed 11Mb/s on MacBook Air OSX 11, but only 3.3MB/s on Acer Aspire 3995 /Win 7 /64-Bit...

How can this be? Same room, same time measured!

Have run full optimisation software, AVG and CC Cleaner, defragged, cleaned registry. ???

Edited by charliedarwin (Fri 06-Dec-13 02:12:56)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Dec-13 08:24:19
Print Post

Re: Speed variation, between computers

[re: charliedarwin] [link to this post]

Are they both connected via cable to the router? What speed checker? Are you running up to date versions of Java (or whatever the speedchecker runs in if not Java)?

Have you got the capitalisation correct in your post?

MB/s is normally Megabytes per second whereas Mb/s is Megabits per second. There are 8 bits in a byte so 3.3MB/s is actually 26.4Mb/s - I suspect it is a typing mistake but if not then the Acer is actually over twice as fast as the Apple.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Dec-13 17:10:44
Print Post

Are you running both speed tests via wireless, in which case the difference will be down to the wireless cards.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mattewan
(regular) Fri 06-Dec-13 17:29:43
Print Post

If you are connecting with wifi then that is probably the reason. I would connect to the router via cable and see if you get the same speed on both machines, at least then you can rule out the operating system, software, etc.

I have seen massive variations in speed between different wifi cards. Not all G/N/AC cards are the same, some cards / router combos work better than others.

It might be worth checking that they are both in the same wifi mode. 11Mb/s, like said previously, is not the same as 11MB/sec.. so if the mac is showing different units to the windows machine, that explains alot.

11MB/sec is fast for wifi n.... as wifi is a shared media and interference, multiple connections, etc will all slow it down and the headline speed is never reached.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 06-Dec-13 23:47:24
Print Post

[re: mattewan] [link to this post]

11MB/s is extremely fast. 88Mbps to be precise.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Dec-13 16:08:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

11MB/s is extremely fast. 88Mbps to be precise.

But somewhat less than the headline 300Mb/s that a lot of 802.11n advertise themselves at (and most users won't realise that the headline speed is totally unobtainable in a meaningful form).
Standard User flippery
(committed) Mon 09-Dec-13 16:40:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by charliedarwin:
Sky DSL broadband via new Sky modem/router; download speed 11Mb/s on MacBook Air OSX 11, but only 3.3MB/s on Acer Aspire 3995 /Win 7 /64-Bit...

How can this be? Same room, same time measured!

Have run full optimisation software, AVG and CC Cleaner, defragged, cleaned registry. ???

Is Mac running when PC tested or, are both tests independent
If together check processes running on MAC such as Itunes. Could be MAC is hogging bandwidth.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 09-Dec-13 23:49:46
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

tongue
He was talking actual throughput from the internet smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to