General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Dec-13 20:35:23
Print Post

Openreach New Line Lead Times

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Tried ordering a new line via the disaster that is the BT Retail ordering system. After they sat on my order for 5 days and I eventually harassed them into getting it done I couldn't help but notice that my install date went from 17th December to 4th January to 15th January.

Are Openreach really that busy? The evidence from my local area, where another resident ordered a new line and is being installed in a couple of days despite placing initial order after me, says otherwise.

I looked at the rescheduling options and, despite the install date going back a fortnight in the space of 15 minutes between 2:15am and 2:30am on 3rd December, then a further fortnight between 3rd December and 8th December, it is at 17th January if ordered now. So a fortnight in 15 minutes in the middle of the night, another fortnight in 5 days, then 2 days in the space of 5 days.

I'm trying to nail down just who is failing here. Obviously BT Retail suck due to their inability to process an order promptly instead faffing around asking me to phone them to repeat the same details I wrote when ordering, are other people seeing these same frankly ridiculous lead times from their new line installs?

Thought we were past these stupidly long lead times but apparently not. Perhaps time that Openreach were forced to offer a dry loop rather than forcing everyone to take a full voice capable line rental. If Canada with their abysmally uncompetitive market can do it we really should be able to.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 15-Dec-13 20:51:03
Print Post

Re: Openreach New Line Lead Times

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Just a line, or a line/broadband bundle?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Sun 15-Dec-13 21:38:23
Print Post

Could be that once the order was taken by Openreach it was noted that one of the following was required. (I think you already have two or more pairs from other posts.)

1. New drop wire to premises ( If you already have two lines) but shouldn't be a major issue if overhead and the pole has spares. If ducted they will need to pull in a new cable so longer lead time. ( Christmas / New year tends to leap from 20th Dec to 4th Jan as you already have service so not a priority call)
2. There are no spares to the Pole / chamber which means a new cable to the chamber/pole from the Cab.
3. The pole has reached its limit for new wires and needs some moving to allow extra provision ( safety issue). This may mean a new pole which is unlikely to be available prior to Christmas.
4. More unlikely: New capacity is required to the Cab from the exchange. has happened where there is new build in an older area or changes to multiple occupation / business use.

None of these mitigate against BT Retail sitting on your order, that is incompetent

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Dec-13 22:09:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Are Openreach really that busy? The evidence from my local area, where another resident ordered a new line and is being installed in a couple of days despite placing initial order after me, says otherwise.

Depends on the area. Some areas are within a few days, some are within a few weeks.

Placed an order in Exeter on Friday, got Tuesday as the first install date. Then did another for Norwich, got the other side of Christmas.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sun 15-Dec-13 22:16:52
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

East anglia region still recovering from the flood damage.
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Dec-13 23:25:51
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
East anglia region still recovering from the flood damage.

West Yorkshire recovering from flood damage, Ribble?
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Dec-13 23:29:19
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
Could be that once the order was taken by Openreach it was noted that one of the following was required. (I think you already have two or more pairs from other posts.)

1. New drop wire to premises ( If you already have two lines) but shouldn't be a major issue if overhead and the pole has spares. If ducted they will need to pull in a new cable so longer lead time. ( Christmas / New year tends to leap from 20th Dec to 4th Jan as you already have service so not a priority call)
2. There are no spares to the Pole / chamber which means a new cable to the chamber/pole from the Cab.
3. The pole has reached its limit for new wires and needs some moving to allow extra provision ( safety issue). This may mean a new pole which is unlikely to be available prior to Christmas.
4. More unlikely: New capacity is required to the Cab from the exchange. has happened where there is new build in an older area or changes to multiple occupation / business use.

None of these mitigate against BT Retail sitting on your order, that is incompetent

Hi Sir.

1) Nope !
2) Nope - unless they provisioned no spares.
3) It's all underground.
4) This was an issue but was addressed in November - I had a chat with the guys who were provisioning the new e-sides. This was after it ran out of d-sides which were also addressed.

That an initial appointment was offered for next week which then stretched out to middle of January kinda precludes the above. Surely this appointment would've come from Openreach, via BT Wholesale, unless BT Retail are making a guess at available appointment times?

Edited by Ignitionnet (Sun 15-Dec-13 23:33:48)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-Dec-13 05:10:44
Print Post

So you are talking about a bundle? Those often take longer if they do a SIM provide.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Mon 16-Dec-13 08:00:21
Print Post

I don't know, but there is an MBORC covering Humber so I guess OR have moved people over there to recover.
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Dec-13 08:09:20
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Appears an MBORC for West Yorkshire was put in place on 9th December commencing from midnight on 10th December, though this was before this drama.

Humber's MBORC might explain it. Thank you.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to