General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Jan-14 17:52:29
Print Post

No loopback on router. Workarounds

[link to this post]

Well this is a kick in the gonads. My fourth attempt to find a good router has hit a roadblock barely a week since installation. I bought a Billion 6300wxl and it doesn't seem to support loopback. My laptop can be set to use the internal IP address but that's not going to help my mobile. I have to leave that set to access my servers using the domain name. The only solution there seems to be to leave wifi disabled.

I've also tried setting up a static IP address for my domain on the router pointing to my server but it seems to be ignored.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User carrobesit
(newbie) Wed 08-Jan-14 08:54:38
Print Post

Re: No loopback on router. Workarounds

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Hi Andrue,

I'm unclear as to what you are trying to actually achieve here.

Are you attempting to access internal servers from inside your network using an external domain name? If so, this is nothing to do with your router and all to do with how your internal network and DNS structure are configured.

Or is it something else entirely? Generally in IT the term "loopback" refers to the loopback address (127.0.0.1) that automatically points to your own network card.

If you can clarify your requirements, we should be able to provide some guidance for you.

Regards,

Rob Cowan
Carrobes IT.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 08-Jan-14 09:03:00
Print Post

[re: carrobesit] [link to this post]

He's referring to NAT Loopback

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jan-14 09:19:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
He's referring to NAT Loopback
Yup. I did try to set up a couple of freeware DNS servers on my server box to go the split DNS route but something kept blocking them. No idea what - I have other services running and had no problems punching them through the machine's firewall. The Billion router allows you to specify static DNS entries but it doesn't actually seem to do anything with them :-/

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Feb-14 08:40:08
Print Post

Well there's a thing. I changed my ISP this week and now I find that I am getting what appears to be loopback. That is - I can access my mail server using my domain name even though it resolves to the WAN address. Could different ISPs affect that? The only change I made to my router was to the user name and password.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Feb-14 09:00:30
Print Post

See PM.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to