General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DarkKobra1977
(newbie) Mon 06-Jan-14 23:59:18
Print Post

Is BTs' equipment at fault?

[link to this post]

Hi guys, just need some advice if possible? I'll provide a background into the problem.

I was on BT from 2000, when we got our 512k line and from then to 2006, we kept having frequent dropouts (losing sync with the exchange). We'd told BT about this, but they claimed that there was nothing that they could do.

In 2006. I went to Be. Be said 'we'll make the line go as fast as it can' and had a sync of about 6-7mbps with an SNR of around 6.0. Which for a 3.5 km line I thought was pretty good. I'd even had it through an extension socket. During this time, I think I had about 20 drop outs in 6 years.

Last year when I found out that Sky were going to take over, I decided I was going to jump ship (as the way they handled cancelling out satellite contract was a joke, but that's another matter). As FTTC was due in the end of December, I thought, I'll ring them up and see what they can do. They too said 'We'll make the line go as fast as it can'. So I thought 'Great, nice 6mb line, that will do.'

After installation of BT's equipment, the same thing started happening again. Drop outs, reduction of speed etc. I think I must have had about 30+ dropouts within the first 3 months. I'm now synced at 4.6mb on a profile of 10 SNR. The Openreach engineers even moved the master socket to the main copper cable.

I'm just wondering, how is this possible considering, its the same line, same connections that Be used and was getting over 2mb better on the line?

I've tried to contact BT, they sent out Engineers who couldnt find anything wrong... one of them even said 'Is it worth messing around just for 1mb?' and I thought 'Too right it is, as its not going as fast as the line can go.'

The thing is, am I right in assuming that it's BT's equipment in the exchange? If it is, it's amazing how Be can have better equipment than our own Telecoms......

Even though it is Sky and I hate Rupert Murdoch, I'm regretting moving..... Christ knows whats going to happen when FTTC comes in... or will I have similar issues you think?

Any advice guys would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sorry for the rant!

Edited by DarkKobra1977 (Tue 07-Jan-14 00:07:21)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 07-Jan-14 00:13:32
Print Post

Re: Is BTs' equipment at fault?

[re: DarkKobra1977] [link to this post]

It's a pity you let your feelings about someone you probably don't know affect your judgement.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 07-Jan-14 00:20:46
Print Post

Last year when I found out that Sky were going to take over, I decided I was going to jump ship (as the way they handled cancelling out satellite contract was a joke, but that's another matter). As FTTC was due in the end of December, I thought, I'll ring them up and see what they can do. They too said 'We'll make the line go as fast as it can'. So I thought 'Great, nice 6mb line, that will do.'
BT Retail? It's probable but not certain from the following part of your post.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Jan-14 00:41:18
Print Post

What your router stats & what exchange?
After installation of BT's equipment
After talking about Sky and ringing 'them' up, do you mean migrated to BT? Not at all clear!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jan-14 09:25:03
Print Post

Be and Sky both provide LLU and so assuming they have that in your exchange then the actual equipment your line connects to belongs to the ISP, not BT.

So, Be's equipment is different to Sky's. It is possible the chipset in the Be DSLAM better suited your router and so gave a more stable experience. Be are also better at getting performance out of the line whereas Sky normally go for stability (chipset incompatibilities not withstanding).

So, it is almost certainly different equipment. When/if you move to FTTC that will be BT equipment and the experience will be more uniform across ISPs. It will also most likely be more stable assuming your distance to the cab is relatively low.
(newbie) Tue 07-Jan-14 20:54:54
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer!

My exchange is Runcorn Main and my router stats were:

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 6 days, 21:21:11
Downstream: 5.305 Mbps
Upstream: 0.876 Mbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 10.4 dB / 6.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 41.3 dB / 24.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 20.3 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 5012 / 226
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 6728 / 157
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 21589 / 623

I was with Be, but as soon as I heard about the switch to Sky, I phoned Be and asked for the migration code and migrated to BT. Didn't speak to Sky at all.

I'm assuming it is BT Retail. I migrated to the Unlimited package for £16 a month.

I hope this clears a few things up!!
(newbie) Tue 07-Jan-14 20:59:28
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Be and Sky both provide LLU and so assuming they have that in your exchange then the actual equipment your line connects to belongs to the ISP, not BT.

So, Be's equipment is different to Sky's. It is possible the chipset in the Be DSLAM better suited your router and so gave a more stable experience. Be are also better at getting performance out of the line whereas Sky normally go for stability (chipset incompatibilities not withstanding).

So, it is almost certainly different equipment. When/if you move to FTTC that will be BT equipment and the experience will be more uniform across ISPs. It will also most likely be more stable assuming your distance to the cab is relatively low.

Thanks Ian,

I'm hoping so!

This is from the BT Checker.... Don't know how accurate this is...

Telephone Number ************

on Exchange RUNCORN MAIN is served by Cabinet 26

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 79.9 20 20 -- 31-May-14
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 73.9 20 19 -- 31-May-14

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 6.5 -- 5.5 to 7.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 6.5 Up to 0.5 5.5 to 7.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 3.5 -- 2.5 to 6.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Standard User flippery
(committed) Tue 07-Jan-14 21:53:59
Print Post

I find my speed is lower on BT than previous ISP (15-20 %). Line is stable occasional IP change. Stabillity problems with previous ISP
Take the speed reduction may be due to each line having capability of Wifi hotspot with HH
  Print Thread

Jump to