General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thomaswarne01
(regular) Tue 07-Jan-14 02:21:44
Print Post

Any more possible increase?

[link to this post]

Hello there peeps, hope you all had a good Christmas and New Year,
Just wondering if there could be any chance of any more increase in sync on my line, if I where to do something.
We have BT Business ADSL2+ Up-to 20Mb
Current Router = Netgear DGN2200 v3
Stats/Info-
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 18203 kbps 1184 kbps
Line Attenuation 27.0 db 11.3 db
Noise Margin 3.5 db 6.0 db
PPPoE, MTU=1492

Directly Plumbed into the master socket via cat5 cable, using a BT Engineer installed ADSL/VDSL filtered faceplate (used on infinity connections) as in this photo,
the only socket in the house and directly from the outside drop wire by the window
So all wiring is optimal,

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated smile

Thanks in advance

Oh and current Speedtest.net Result! smile

BT Business Infinity Unlimited
20-24Mb down 1Mb up
Speedtest Result
My Exchange
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jan-14 09:26:24
Print Post

Re: Any more possible increase?

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

That seems to be pretty good sync speeds and you have squeezed about all you can out of the noise margin. Personally I would be happy with that and leave things be as you've already done all the obvious.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 07-Jan-14 09:32:47
Print Post

Unlikely to get very much maybe 300k extra and it depends on measures you want to take.

If you are really desperate:
Change the Hub - it could improve it marginally or it could make it worse.
Shorten the run from Master Socket to Hub - might give a few extra tens of bits per second.
Move all electrical equipment well away from the incoming line and Cat5e.
Get rid of your microwave and plasma of flatscreen TV.
Run the hub from a suitable battery rather than a PSU.
Ensure there are no mains cable running near the master or Cat5e

Realistically you are probably around the maximum and as background noise fluctuates during the day, the time at which you sync will have more effect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Tue 07-Jan-14 09:51:37
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying, yes it does change when it syncs at various times in the day, varies like 100-200Kbps in download sync and 100Kbps in upload
So with it being plumbed in via cat 5 and cable run being as short as it can be, I have a pretty good/optimal connection then?

BT Business Unlimited ADSL2+
18Mb down 1.1Mb up
My Exchange
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jan-14 12:58:28
Print Post

OK, so the only question is how long is the Cat5 cable? If the distance between socket and router is particularly long then you may get a small gain by shortening but as I said before it is very unlikely you will see anything signficant so probably not worth the bother. Try connection direct to the socket with as shorter cable as possible and see how much benefit you get - that will give you your absolute best case scenario.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Jan-14 15:08:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by thomaswarne01:
PPPoE, MTU=1492
Are you sure it is PPPoE? Those are the settings for Fibre, not ADSL. Shouldn't it be PPPoA? If so, shouldn't MTU=1500?

See: BT Business Total Broadband
Getting started and troubleshooting p31

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 07-Jan-14 17:08:00
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Good spot.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(regular) Tue 07-Jan-14 23:01:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying, the router recommends PPPoE and its roughly the same throughput on PPPoA but I prefer it on PPPoE as it seems more instant in terms of pings and page loading times, I have fiddled with this and its not that much different, also the cat 5 length is roughly 2-2.5meters, and its not feasible to move the router directly under the socket as it is on a UPS with other network equipment under the stairs.
But would a different router (maybe you could recommend the best router if you don't mind?smile ) see an increase in sync speed or am I getting all if not more than what is theoretically possible for my line?

Thanks again smile

BT Business Unlimited ADSL2+
18Mb down 1.1Mb up
My Exchange
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Jan-14 08:27:47
Print Post

With that attenuation you are I think at the top end of what is possible. At best you might get a few hundred K or a meg - and that is unlikely, a different router is as likely to be worse rather than better.

Unless I missed it you haven't said what router you have. Knowing that may show if there are any possible better options.
Standard User sully1311
(learned) Mon 13-Jan-14 02:32:24
Print Post

Your not going to get a feasible increase in speed, you're basically getting the maximum now. You've got a good line there.
  Print Thread

Jump to