General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User louisella
(newbie) Tue 07-Jan-14 11:38:42
Print Post

Sky Broadband Connect - in rural area

[link to this post]

Hi there - I'm moving to a rural area and having looked into various options, it looks like Sky Connect is the only viable option. Does anyone have any experience of using this service? I'm concerned about the Network Management part as we watch a lot of films online (although fully appreciate that this will be a lot more restricted once we move due to broadband capacity!).

Also, if we do go for Connect, although I have been told by a Sky advisor over the phone that I will be able to get it at my new address, I can't seem to be able to put the order thorugh online as keep getting a message saying it's not eligible. (weirdly enough it's coming up with this even without me putting my address in so not sure if it's a glitch on the system. It seems unfair to not be able to take out an online package as they seem to be the best deals (we are looking for TV, phone and broadband)

If we do sign up to 12 months TV, the Sky advisor told me that if we're not happy with the broadband connection speed, we can cancel this element at any time without charge even if the speed is within the remit of what they have quoted (I tripled checked this with her as wanted to really make sure!!)

Thanks

Edited by louisella (Tue 07-Jan-14 12:46:55)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 07-Jan-14 11:47:48
Print Post

Re: Sky Broadband Connect - in rural area

[re: louisella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by louisella:
If we do sign up to 12 months TV, the Sky advisor told me that if we're not happy with the broadband connection speed, we can cancel this element at any time without charge even if the speed is within the remit of what they have quoted (I tripled checked this with her as wanted to really make sure!!)

Thanks

I would want that promise in writing before committing. Preferably an email backed up by a physical letter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jan-14 12:30:04
Print Post

You might want to post your BT Exchange so people can look at your options?

Sky Connect only appears to have a 40GB usage allowance which isn't too generous - especially as you mention watching films...

Have you asked the current home owners for details on their current broadband?
Router stats would be great. Rural doesn't always mean slow - my parents live in the middle of no where but get maximum sync as they are close to the exchange.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User louisella
(newbie) Tue 07-Jan-14 12:40:16
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Thanks b4dger, I'm not very techy minded for my sins so hopefully this will help - the nearest exchange is Plymtree
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WWPTRE
Standard User louisella
(newbie) Tue 07-Jan-14 12:41:06
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

absolutely agree!! I'm waiting for the written confirmation from them and will be calling them again tonight to chase
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Tue 07-Jan-14 12:49:08
Print Post

Hi there - I'm moving to a rural area and having looked into various options, it looks like Sky Connect is the only viable option.

In what way is SKY Connect "the only viable option"?

This is normally delivered over the BT Wholesale platform as this is provided to areas outside the SKY LLU coverage.

Its performance is crucially dependent on the bandwidth SKY purchase from BT and this is, allegedly lacking at times. The provision of ADSL2+ is also dependent on the availability of the BT product in that exchange (you cannot rely on the assumption that all SKY connections have it, on SKY Connect they often don't).

The delivery over BTW is not what SKY normally do. If you realise this from the start and the 40GB allowance then fine.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jan-14 13:01:25
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

I was wondering why it is the only viable option too.

Other likely candidates would be PlusNet, Zen, AAISP and even BT. All would likely be better experiences than Sky Connect. In fact almost any ISP would probably be better than Sky Connect if their performance is still as bad as it was a year or 2 ago (remembering that Sky Connect and Sky LLU are very different products).
Standard User brandscill
(member) Tue 07-Jan-14 14:41:51
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I went for the Post Office due to the cost aspect after being with Sky Connect and every they were 100 x better.

I would have recommend the Post Office but seems things have got much worse since I left and they changed call centre and back end provider. Personally I'd go BT.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 07-Jan-14 15:04:18
Print Post

absolutely agree!! I'm waiting for the written confirmation from them and will be calling them again tonight to chase
Nope!!!!

The connection speed will be fine. The speed stuff comes down the line is a different matter altogether.

There are three well-known (here) extremely bad products on ADSL, which is all you can get. O2 Access which will die soon if it hasn't already now Sky have taken them over, whatever TalkTalk's "out of area" product is called, and Sky Connect.

I strongly advise against it, and the "connection speed" get-out is useless to you as there is unlikely to be anything wrong with that.

As has been said, an important factor is the capacity the ISP rents from BT Wholesale on connections that use that. Sky Connect does. Unlike Sky LLU which is an excellent product but not available to you. The capacity per customer the three I listed rent from BT Wholesale is clearly way below most other ISPs and the throughput speed can be dire as a result.

I suggest you should be looking at BT itself, PlusNet, or one of the smaller ISPs such as Aquiss, vivaciti or xilo/uno, depending on your budget and download allowance needs. Note that the banner prices on PlusNet do not apply at your exchange, you need to get to their "Market 1" pricing which is considerably higher but still competitive with the others.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Tue 07-Jan-14 15:47:38
Print Post

As others said Sky only offer 40gb on ADSL. and has poor reviews on sky forum.
Plusnet are offering £9 ( 12 months offer ) for Unlimited against £17 for 40gb by Sky.
i ended up with BT as wanted the free BT Sport option , which was added to sky TV card.
Have you tested the anticipated line speed at your new address?

Edited by flippery (Tue 07-Jan-14 15:48:58)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to