General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Fri 10-Jan-14 20:46:33
Print Post

Installation of phone service and FTTC service

[link to this post]

During December my work colleague took on a rented property and immediately went about ordering a simultaneous installation of a phone service and broadband service [FTTC]. What was pretty obvious was that the drop wire from the pole to the master socket, and indeed the internal wiring was in pretty poor condition. I suggested he order a brand new service with the master socket located next to his computer.

As expected the phone installation would cost £100 + VAT with the FTTC service installed at no charge. A few days prior to the installation the ISP claimed to have sent an email, but never received, basically saying that an engineer visit would not be necessary to install the phone line as there was already a master socket in the property and hat they had been able to make this live. Sure enough, plugging a phone into the existing master socket showed there was a dialling tone on the line.

Contact was made with the ISP to say this was not what was required but their response was that it was up to BT to decide how to provide the service and that they had fulfilled their obligation. When it was pointed out that re-activation of a line would normally cost a nominal sum, they were having none of it and the charge would still stand as the engineer had to visit the exchange to do the necessary work. A socket by the from door was a very disappointing outcome.

The broadband engineer turned up, three hours beyond the time slot, saying that all he was contracted to do was to change the master socket and if so wanted, to attach the modem to the wall. Any suggestion of doing anything more was out of the question. Contact was made with the ISP who asked the engineer to provide an extension socket next to the computer desk [located in an adjacent room]. With not too much enthusiasm to drill through the wall for the required wiring, this extension was created. However the existing sub standard drop wire still remains on the basis that if the predictive speeds are not achieved after several days have elapsed then BT will be requested to attend but such a visit would probably be chargeable.

A few days later, the down speed has settled at 39Mbps against a predictive 75.4Mbps. Faced with the foregoing what would you do next?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 10-Jan-14 21:22:48
Print Post

Re: Installation of phone service and FTTC service

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Faced with the foregoing what would you do next?
Check that it hasn't been provisioned as a 40/10 service.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 10-Jan-14 22:21:05
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

How could he say that the drop-wire was in poor condition?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 10-Jan-14 22:36:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I thought they were replaced as part of the installation.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 10-Jan-14 22:42:09
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Since when? Not in my lifetime.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 10-Jan-14 22:45:57
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Why?

If they are there why do unnecessary work and increase the cost to customers?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Jan-14 18:37:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Not quite. If installed by Openreach staff, any existing spans of the old dropwire 3 (grey coating, single pair thick copper and no twist) should be replaced during an installation visit.

Sounds like the OP is referring to a visit from a contractor.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 13-Jan-14 00:29:22
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

OK smile. But that would be an engineer assessment, not a routine occurrence. Certainly not all FTTC installations.

Print Thread

Jump to