General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bobsquish
(newbie) Sat 11-Jan-14 19:33:59
Print Post

Intermittent connection problems

[link to this post]

Hello all,

I'm having some problems with my broadband connection and cannot figure out what is going on. For some time now whenever I try to visit a webpage the connection will regularly just hang. Using google chrome the grey circle appears but the dark blue circle does not. If I leave it to load it occasionally does after ~20 seconds but more often than not it never loads and I have to refresh a number of times in order to load the page. I have tested the speed and thats fine, we can stream video without it buffering but around 50% of the time when loading a page the connection hangs.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, I have contacted my ISP and they say the connections fine. If anyone can help I would much appreciate it.

Many thanks,
Ben.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Jan-14 19:47:36
Print Post

Re: Intermittent connection problems

[re: bobsquish] [link to this post]

Could be DNS lookup delays or failures.

What DNS server IP addresses is the PC using? If set to automatic try something like the Google ones 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bobsquish
(newbie) Sat 11-Jan-14 19:51:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Its set to automatic at the moment. I'll try the google ones but this problem happens on all devices on the network so is it unlikely to be the DNS settings?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Jan-14 19:52:19
Print Post

If devices are set to get their DNS server via DHCP they will be using the router DNS relay, which will usually be your ISP. i.e. all using the same one

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bobsquish
(newbie) Sat 11-Jan-14 19:53:54
Print Post

Right okay, will definitely try that, Thank you.
Standard User bobsquish
(newbie) Sat 11-Jan-14 20:22:30
Print Post

Just using the internet over the last few minutes it doesn't seem to have changed anything but I will try it in the long run.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Jan-14 20:51:33
Print Post

Which ISP? O2/ Be users having similar probs at the mo'.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to