General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 14-Jan-14 18:06:17
Print Post

Windows 9 in 2015?

[link to this post]

Maybe I'm behind the curve, but it seems MS Threshold will be called Windows 9, rather than Windows 8.2

Link1.
Link2.
Link3.

Some interesting stuff to be found in links included in the Link1 article.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jan-14 18:35:28
Print Post

Re: Windows 9 in 2015?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's nice to see a different (and more traditional) direction for Windows. I use windows 7 at work and have been wondering what the long term plan was given that windows 8 (lack of start menu, metro interface) was so different without any real need to be.

At home I've switched to OS X so don't need to worry there smile

Kris

BT Infinity 2
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 14-Jan-14 18:39:28
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

If when it arrives it allows the Metro apps to run in resizable windows on the desktop, it will possibly become quite good. Assuming we have at least two Intel faster processor releases by that time smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User KelvinBridge
(learned) Tue 14-Jan-14 19:35:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If when it arrives it allows the Metro apps to run in resizable windows on the desktop, it will possibly become quite good. Assuming we have at least two Intel faster processor releases by that time smile.

....when my wife goes up the hill to generate Electricity on a modified bicycle ( she peddles very fast ) will it be enough to power Windows 9 and '' two Intel faster processors'' and a simple tanning lamp ???

......as we get very dreich weather !!!
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jan-14 21:37:00
Print Post

They need to realise that mouse and keyboard will remain the primary interface for proper Windows and turn the Windows App Store into something similar to that in OS X. Basically a store to buy apps of varying levels of complexity, that run in a sandbox and are therefore more secure than standard apps.

Kris

BT Infinity 2
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jan-14 16:10:17
Print Post

Same ol', same ol'.

Every other version of OS that Microsoft produces is naff, the ones in between are good. Since Windows 7 was a good OS it was inevitable that 8.x would be naff and 9.x will be the best yet wink

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 15-Jan-14 17:04:40
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

It seems from the reports that nearly everyone associated with the decisions about W 8/RT have been ushered out of the door or moved out of harm's way, while their replacements sort out the mess.
Edit - typo.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 15-Jan-14 18:27:11)

Standard User btbert
(member) Wed 15-Jan-14 18:05:11
Print Post

And its a right mess it is some of us are "Lucky" to have W8 on the works laptop and i would say 90%+ hate it.God knows who thought it was a good move to buy a new OS from MS , would you do it with your own money ?

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2420497773.png
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 15-Jan-14 18:27:50
Print Post

[re: btbert] [link to this post]

Surely you go straight to the Desktop?

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jan-14 18:46:24
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Perhaps controversial, but I felt Vista was underrated. It's a bit slower than Windows 7, granted, but Windows 7 is little more than Vista with some performance tweaks.

Perhaps the main issue was that at the time of release of Vista, most PCs were sold with 1 GB RAM, and Vista needed 2 GB minimum to run comfortably. By Windows 7, 2 GB, 3 GB and 4 GB RAM was the norm.

The other issue was that due to the revised driver model in Vista, a lot of devices which worked on XP no longer worked on Vista, an issue which Windows 7 suffers from too of course, but Vista had already taken the heat for it.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Wed 15-Jan-14 18:47:24)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to