General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ih4472
(newbie) Wed 15-Jan-14 19:16:04
Print Post

thinkbroadband Speed Test

[link to this post]

Any ideas why the speed test has stopped working in Chrome on my Mac (OS X 10.9.1)? For the last week or so all I've been getting is the message "Unable to connect. Please try again later.". It still works in Safari and Firefox but that's of no use given the inaccurate readings those browsers give.

For what it's worth I've tried resetting Chrome and even reinstalling it but the problem persists.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Jan-14 20:44:18
Print Post

Re: thinkbroadband Speed Test

[re: ih4472] [link to this post]

Just tried in Chrome on OSX and the flash test works as expected

Mac OS X 10_9_1

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ih4472
(newbie) Wed 15-Jan-14 21:27:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just tried mine again and still unable to connect.

Tried my wife's and my daughter's Macs and they're the same which would suggest a problem with my network. But then why would it still work in Safari and Firefox. And I have the same problem whilst at work anyway so all fingers now pointing at Chrome. Maybe an auto update has broken it. Anything obvious I should check?

Chrome version I have is 32.0.1700.77

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Jan-14 21:36:46
Print Post

Just updated to the same version and still works. If flash loads but test does not run it points to somethig blocking tcp port 8095

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ih4472
(newbie) Wed 15-Jan-14 22:07:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well I'm at a loss. The fact that Safari and Firefox still work suggest that it's not my network or my Mac. However, I disabled my firewall and Sophos to see if that made a difference but it didn't. Same with starting Chrome from a command line explicitly allowing port 8095. Nothing.

Any logs I can (try to) decipher?
Administrator john
(founder) Thu 16-Jan-14 10:45:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by ih4472:
Well I'm at a loss. The fact that Safari and Firefox still work suggest that it's not my network or my Mac. However, I disabled my firewall and Sophos to see if that made a difference but it didn't. Same with starting Chrome from a command line explicitly allowing port 8095. Nothing.

Any logs I can (try to) decipher?

Have the same Chrome version here in OSX and working fine. There aren't any logs no so a bit puzzling..

John Hunt
Co-Founder,
thinkbroadband.com
john@thinkbroadband.com
Standard User ih4472
(newbie) Thu 16-Jan-14 18:24:47
Print Post

[re: john] [link to this post]

Double checked again at work today and it doesn't work.

So, I have multiple Macs on which the speed test doesn't work in Chrome but does in Safari and Firefox. It doesn't work on different networks, when the firewall and anti virus are turned off or when Chrome is started explicitly allowing port 8095. Looks like no more speed tests for me then. frown
Standard User ih4472
(newbie) Fri 17-Jan-14 17:06:00
Print Post

And just to add to the puzzle, Chrome in Windows 8.1 running in Parallels on my Mac also works!

Completely removed Chrome from OS X again and reinstalled but still no joy. What I did notice though was despite removing all the preference files I could find the new install still had my pinned tabs so I must have missed something somewhere.

Will keep trying. smile
Administrator john
(founder) Mon 20-Jan-14 15:02:54
Print Post

Hi,
Another user with the same symptoms and also running Sophos found that turning off all protection helped fix the problem for them:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/newsite/f/4296331-s...

Perhaps give that a try?

Thanks,

John

John Hunt
Co-Founder,
thinkbroadband.com
john@thinkbroadband.com
Standard User ih4472
(newbie) Mon 20-Jan-14 19:07:59
Print Post

Re: thinkbroadband Speed Test, Mac OS X and Chrome

That's the culprit...

I only turned off the On Access scanner totally missing the "Block access to malicious websites..." and "Block malicious downloads from websites..." settings in the new Web Protection feature. Turning both these off allows the speed test to work.

Adding thinkbroadband.com or your IP 80.249.99.130 as an allowed website makes no difference so it's over to the Sophos forums to see if they can come up with something. I'll report back if they do.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by ih4472 (Mon 20-Jan-14 19:34:37)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to