General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Jan-14 19:07:36
Print Post

Re: TV Licence & Iplayer

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrTAToad2:
It's about time the license fee was scrapped

So do you want the BBC to be scrapped, funded from general taxation or wall-to-wall ads (heaven forbid)?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 26-Jan-14 09:18:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

why are you comparing a optional broadband service especially where you can shop around to a almost compulsary tv fee?

If you watch live tv regardless if its the bbc or not then the bbc has to be paid, how that compares to you paying for broadband I dont know.

In fact the attitude of those supporting this ancient/unfair practice I think i may cancel my tv licence just to annoy. A bit less paying for all those expense spared and expensive saturday night strictly come dancing.

If the bbc is such good value for money and adored by so many then it can be funded without a tv fee simply by a optional subscription and people will gladly pay up and it carries on how it is?

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 26-Jan-14 09:19:51
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

indeed I pay the fee, and unless I watch the shows very quickly after they aired I have to buy a dvd, I mean what the ????

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 26-Jan-14 09:21:43
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

its a non profit organisation, those who support the bbc seem to absolutely love it meaning I expect they would pay double what they pay now right?

so if we assume half stop paying,. those who remain pay double, then it wouldnt need adverts.

in addition there is such things as cost cutting. The bbc has a lot of bloat and luxury expenses.

adverts between shows are ok, that could be an intermediate compromise, as long as no adverts during shows. commercial channels usually do that on various live sport events. Sky f1 races/quali no adverts, football only ads at half time, before and after.

Edited by Chrysalis (Sun 26-Jan-14 09:24:13)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Jan-14 13:50:09
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Another weird thing about the TV licence is that if you pay by monthly Direct Debit you have to start paying for your next TV licence 6 months before it begins. So at any given time you have paid for your next 6 months of licence up front. None of my other Direct Debits work in this way.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sun 26-Jan-14 14:23:08)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Jan-14 15:12:13
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

that's the tvl goons at crapita for you
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 26-Jan-14 15:12:46
Print Post

Is the d/d a straight 1/12th of the annual fee?

If so, that sounds very similar to paying a whole year at the start of that year. Paying annually, on average over multiple years you have paid six months in advance.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User janitor
(experienced) Sun 26-Jan-14 19:42:10
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Maybe ads wouldn't be such a bad thing, as the time they spend advertising themselves between programmes is getting longer.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Jan-14 21:00:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Another weird thing about the TV licence is that if you pay by monthly Direct Debit you have to start paying for your next TV licence 6 months before it begins. So at any given time you have paid for your next 6 months of licence up front. None of my other Direct Debits work in this way.

What happens if somebody doesn't wish to renew - do they refund the full six months advance payment?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Jan-14 23:00:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Is the d/d a straight 1/12th of the annual fee?

If so, that sounds very similar to paying a whole year at the start of that year. Paying annually, on average over multiple years you have paid six months in advance.

If you pay annually via DD you pay the whole lot on day 1 of the licence.

If you pay monthly via DD you start paying for the licence 6 months before day 1 of the licence.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sun 26-Jan-14 23:13:29)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to